United reports $375 million net loss for April

United reports $375 million net loss for April

CHICAGO (AP) =97 United Airlines said in a bankruptcy court filing Wednesday=
=20
that it lost $375 million in April, when the war in Iraq and fallout from=20
SARS combined to wallop the air travel business. The world's second-largest=
=20
carrier said it had met its lenders' financial requirements for the month=20
and ended April with more than $1 billion in restricted cash =97 back at=20
prewar levels. Chief financial officer Jake Brace cautioned, however, that=
=20
"the revenue environment continues to be challenging."  United's financial=
=20
outlook has improved this month, with labor costs dramatically reduced in=20
contracts that took effect May 1, the war over and the consequences of SARS=
=20
on Asian travel having decreased. The airline has restored 162 flights for=
=20
the summer travel season, and Brace reiterated that it is "encouraged" by=20
bookings. "We have stayed on track with our efforts to reduce our cost=20
structure significantly and we continue to move our business forward," he=
 said.

But while officials of the airline express confidence that United also will=
=20
meet its lenders' May 31 benchmark, it must make dramatic improvement to=20
get back to positive cash-flow by the end of October as required. United,=20
the largest carrier at Denver International Airport, reported a loss from=20
operations of $297 million in April. United's creditors also have grown=20
impatient with its failure to disclose more details of how it plans to=20
return to profitability, although it has until Oct. 6 to file a=20
reorganization plan in federal bankruptcy court. John Tague, United's newly=
=20
appointed executive vice president for customer initiatives, said the=20
airline is now turning its full attention toward how to boost revenue after=
=20
having restructured many of its costs. United, which filed for Chapter 11=20
bankruptcy in December, lost an industry-worst $1.34 billion in the first=20
quarter of 2003. United's stock, which was delisted by the New York Stock=20
Exchange earlier this year, fell 10 cents to $1.82 Wednesday on the=20
over-the-counter market.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/