US Airways may leave Washington

US Airways CEO Dave Siegel is considering moving his
company's headquarters out of the D.C. area.

Speaking at the Greater Washington Initiative's annual meeting at the
Washington Convention Center, Siegel said the Arlington-based carrier is
receiving serious interest from other cities that would like to host its
corporate offices.
"There are plenty of people who would like us to relocate," Siegel said.

US Airways, which recently emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy, wants to add
direct flights from Reagan National Airport to major West Coast cities, and
to use larger jets on some of its flights from National, which now are
limited to smaller, commuter planes.

Also on Siegel's wish list: support for the company's plan to build a
commuter terminal at National Airport.
"We are trying to get put on a level playing field," Siegel said.

Congress is considering a number of bills that would boost daily flights
out of the Arlington airport by as many as 36. Siegel said new flights
would be nice, but what US Airways really wants is permission to more
efficiently use its existing flight allowance.

Siegel is chagrined at what he perceives as a take-us-for-granted attitude
by the local business community. He also suggested other airlines,
particularly United, get preferential treatment by local government
officials. United may be concerned about US Airways' flights out of
National affecting its business at nearby Dulles International Airport,
where it is the No. 1 carrier. US Airways operates the most flights out of
National.

"I don't see why United's opinion should matter more than ours," he said.
United officials would not comment.

In an interview, Siegel said United is blocking US Airways' attempts to
boost its flights out of National.

Siegel said he has received interest from officials in Pittsburgh,
Charlotte, N.C., and Alabama, the home base of Retirement Systems of
Alabama, a 37 percent owner of the company.

"They would clearly like to see a benefit to the state of Alabama," Siegel
said.

Siegel said he'd like to keep the company's headquarters in the D.C. area,
and added that today's speech is the beginning of a campaign to improve his
company's relations with the area's business community.

"I like the fact that people are vying for our attention now," Siegel said.
"I don't get that feeling from the Washington community."