Bombardier results weaken on tough conditions in aircraft sector

Bombardier results weaken on tough conditions in aircraft sector
Last Updated Tue, 27 May 2003 16:23:25

MONTREAL - Bombardier Inc. (TSX:BBD.b) saw its profits fall sharply as
company felt the brunt of the slowdown in the aircraft sector.  The company
made $80.7 million (5 cents a share), down from $197.2 million (14 cents a
share) in the same quarter of last year.  Bombardier posted revenues $4.94
billion, off from $5.06 billion a year ago.  The company's aerospace
division had revenues of $2.38 billion and a loss from continuing
operations of $7 million. A year ago, the division had revenues $2.66
billion and profit from continuing operations of $158 million.  As it
struggled to cope with the slowdown in its business, Bombardier announced
plans to sell several non-core assets, including the leisure products
division on which the company was founded.  "Although we have made good
progress on the action plan announced on April 3, this first quarter has
been extremely difficult and I am not satisfied with our results," Paul
Tellier, the company's president and CEO, said.  "The decline in the
business aircraft market, unfavourable economic conditions and the
continued uncertainty in the commercial aviation industry remain concerns,"
Tellier said.

Written by CBC News Online staff

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/