Re: Providence drops extension plan for secondary runway

In a message dated 5/23/2003 12:17:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, damiross2@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Politicians are not only stupid but also suffer from short sightedness. Build
> an extension now or pay a lot more in the future.  And the people living near
> the airport?  MOVE!  If you buy or rent a house near an airport, expect noise,
> you idiots!
>
> A swamp is a swamp, no matter what you call it.  I'd rather have "wetlands"
> utilized for something useful than just sitting there
> getting wet.

  Figured you might say something like this David.  Normally, I am all for giving the shaft to people who live near airports, because they did make the choice to live there.  As long as the airport was built before the residential area sprung up, they have no complaint.  It is like Westchester here in LA.  LAX started as a landing strip in the middle of an orchard, and built up from there.  Rich people moved there for who-know's what reason, but it is obviously linked to the fact that there is an AIRPORT there boosting the economy.  So they fight baddly needed plans to expand, get free sound proofing and still complain.  And this is at an airport that only allows stage 3 all day long and only runs take offs over the ocean.  If PVD was there before those people, they have no complaint.
  That said, I don't think they should expand because of the environmental impact.  Those wetlands probably hold a lot of bio-diversity that was there way before the airport and keeps the eco-system healthy.  Given that, they should not extend the crosswind runway.  And what the hell makes them think that international carriers are going to pass up BOS?  They should be happy that place is a mess so they get WN

AA