St. Louis Lambert smokers get reprieve

ST. LOUIS (AP) =97 Smokers traveling through Lambert Airport in St. Louis=
 can=20
puff away after all. A bill before the St. Louis Board of Aldermen bans=20
smoking in all buildings owned or leased by the city, but Alderman Freeman=
=20
Bosley Sr. excluded the airport from the ban. Bosley allowed the exemption=
=20
after airport administrators showed him a video of how the airport smoking=
=20
lounge exhausts remove smoke from the lounges. Air quality tests paid for=20
by the Tobacco Free Missouri-Greater St. Louis Coalition indicate that=20
there are traces of nicotine in the air outside the lounges. But Bosley=20
said those traces could come from the clothing of smokers. "We have no=20
business fixing something that is not broken," he said Thursday. The=20
airport includes eight smoking lounges in concourses and one in the main=20
terminal. The city spent about $450,000 to install them six years ago.

Viviane McKay, a member of the coalition, said she was happy, for now, with=
=20
the partial victory. "We will put the airport in a separate bill=20
altogether," McKay said. "We have to try to show the aldermen that even=20
though there may be small amounts of nicotine, cigarette smoke is still=20
getting out (of the lounges)." Aldermen worried that closing the lounges=20
would force smokers outside and create jams at security checkpoints as they=
=20
passed through repeatedly. Some said it was irresponsible for the city to=20
spend money on the lounges and then take them out. Bosley's bill also=20
prohibits smokers from lighting up within 25 feet of a city building. At=20
City Hall, that would mean no more workers huddling around ashtrays just=20
outside entrances, where an overhang helps protect them from bad weather.=20
"I wish we could make it completely off city property," Bosley said. Some=20
smokers at City Hall grumbled at the ban. But Matt Murphy, an assistant to=
=20
Aldermanic President James Shrewsbury, said it would be an incentive for=20
him to quit. "We are a dying breed, literally, and it's time to face the=20
fact that public sentiment rests with the nonsmokers," Murphy said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/