American Airlines sets creditor deals, may still file bankruptcy

American Airlines sets creditor deals, may still file bankruptcy

CHICAGO (Reuters) =97 American Airlines said Thursday it may still have to=
=20
file for bankruptcy, even after reaching deals with more than 100=20
suppliers, aircraft lessors and other creditors that will save it more than=
=20
$175 million a year. The world's largest airline, a unit of AMR Corp.,=20
narrowly averted bankruptcy three times last month and has been scrambling=
=20
to restructure its costs out of court. The airline said it expects the=20
latest agreements to generate cumulative savings of more than $1 billion.=20
The deals, which the carrier disclosed in a U.S. regulatory filing, mark=20
the final piece of the company's goal of reducing overall costs by $4=20
billion a year. American previously had identified about $2 billion in=20
annual cost savings. Last month, its three major unions agreed to=20
concession packages totaling $1.8 billion. "We continue to move through the=
=20
most challenging period in our history, and our success is still far from=20
assured, but reaching these cost-reduction agreements with our suppliers,=20
lessors, and creditors is another step forward and further strengthens AMR=
=20
as we seek to put the company on a solid financial footing," the company's=
=20
new Chief Executive Gerard Arpey said in a statement. AMR shares rose more=
=20
than 15 cents initially on the news, but retreated 14 cents lower to $6.90=
=20
on the New York Stock Exchange at mid-afternoon. The company's filing with=
=20
the Securities and Exchange Commission also showed that AMR granted 37.9=20
million stock options to its unions on April 17 at a strike price of $5.=20
With the stock currently trading near $7 a share, that's a gain of about=20
$76 million. The carrier said it will issue up to 3 million shares of=20
common stock to suppliers, lessors, and other creditors in exchange for the=
=20
new agreements.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/