United to restore 162 cut flights in June

United to restore 162 cut flights in June

CHICAGO (AP) =97 United Airlines, citing a recent improvement in bookings,=
 is=20
restoring 162 daily flights next month that had been cut from its April and=
=20
May schedules due to a drop in demand during the Iraq war. The nation's No.=
=20
2 carrier, hopeful of a busy summer travel season, said in announcing the=20
revisions Thursday that the additional flights are to domestic, European=20
and Pacific destinations. No markets were eliminated during the two months=
=20
of scaled-back flights. United, which is restructuring in Chapter 11=20
bankruptcy, will now operate 1,722 daily flights in June, up from 1,560 in=
=20
May. The move is a sign of improving prospects for both United and the=20
battered airline industry, which remains mired in its worst slump ever.=20
After putting new labor contracts into effect this month that will reduce=20
its annual expenses by more than $2.5 billion, United has said it intends=20
to focus on ways to raise revenue. The Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based=20
carrier hopes to launch a low-fare carrier by early 2004. "As we prepare=20
for the summer travel season, we have been encouraged by the upturn in=20
bookings that indicate a strong recovery in many of the markets we serve,"=
=20
said Marty St. George, director of network planning for United.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/