Plan to add flights at National put on hold

Plan to add flights at National put on hold

WASHINGTON (AP) =97 Plans to add flights at Ronald Reagan Washington=
 National=20
Airport are in a holding pattern for now. A House transportation=20
subcommittee agreed Wednesday to wait for the full Committee on=20
Transportation and Infrastructure markup next Wednesday before making any=20
decisions. The panel considered adding 36 slots at National, including 24=20
which would allow larger planes to fly beyond the traditional 1,250 mile=20
perimeter to which most flights at National are limited. District of=20
Columbia Congressional Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton had offered an=20
amendment to cancel the plan, which is part of the Federal Aviation=20
Administration reauthorization bill. Norton said National is too crowded,=20
and adding 36 slots would make it worse. "It will increase delays and=20
congestion to the airport," Norton told committee members, who frequently=20
use the airport themselves.

Norton and Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., also expressed concern that the slots=20
could siphon business from other nearby airports. Norton said the financial=
=20
impact on Washington Dulles International Airport, as well as four airlines=
=20
fighting for economic survival =97 US Airways, Delta, American and United =
=97=20
should also be considered. "I don't see how US Airways is going to make it=
=20
if we mess with some of slots they have purchased," Norton said. The=20
carrier emerged from bankruptcy in March. Moran urged fellow lawmakers to=20
scrap the idea, saying the extra noise would be more than local residents=20
bargained for. "I will continue to press the case that adding flights at=20
National is a bad idea," Moran said. He said it is illogical to add flights=
=20
as security screening positions are being cut.

Aviation subcommittee Chairman John Mica, R-Fla., told Norton he was=20
willing to work with her on the issues of slots, financial concerns and=20
local control of the airport. The goal is to improve the bill over the next=
=20
week. Norton said she has already begun negotiations and consultations with=
=20
other lawmakers. "This committee, I think, will listen because they're=20
concerned about the future of the four airlines that are on their knees,"=20
Norton said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/