Re: Northwest adding nonstop flights from Milwaukee to major cities

At 12:19 PM 5/13/2003 -0400, Alireza Alivandivafa wrote:
>I think Midwest's one problem was flying out of Milwauke.  If they had
>that kind of service, at those prices, out of a better airport and more
>illustrious city, they would be making a killing.

What airport do you suggest as a better hub? IND? I'm not sure it counts as
either a more illustrious city or a better airport, but that's the best
candidate I can think of. DAY was once a hub, but it's even less
illustrious as a city, and, like IND, is close to an established hub, DL's
CVG hub.

What are MKE's faults as a hub, anyway? Weather? Age of the terminal? Too
close to ORD?

>It would also help if they used different planes, though I totally
>understand why they use the DC-9 family.

I'm not Mike Gammon, but I'll go ahead and take you to task anyway. :-)
What would you recommend, the 737 family? The A320 family? The latter
wasn't available as YX got its start, and the 737's virtues, especially in
the -300/400/500 series, aren't matched to what YX needs. The 727 might
have worked, but it was a dead-end, and it took a third cockpit member.
 From their oldest -30s to their newest -95s, er, 717-200s, there's a nice
range of sizes and features to choose among while keeping the same
fuselage. There was also a good supply of used craft for YX to take their
pick from.

Also, I'm not sure how you'd configure any of those alternatives for
seating. 2-3 (from their current 3-3)? 2-2, like those fleet's current
First Class configurations? With the DC-9s, going from 2-3 to 2-2 is a nice
boost to comfort without giving up too much capacity.

Having said all that, I really wish YX would adjust their schedules so I
could use them for IAD/SFO or DCA/SFO. I flew them DCA-MKE-SFO (and back)
once three years ago, and it was nice. But these days, their SFO flights
leave MKE before the first flights from Washington get in. :-(

Just a thought,
Nick