Unions seek clarity from Air Canada through court-ordered facilitator

STEVE ERWIN   Canadian Press  Sunday, May 11, 2003

TORONTO (CP) - Five unions will meet with Air Canada in front of a
court-ordered facilitator Monday, seeking consensus on how to reduce costs
at the airline, and with at least one union hoping the mediator will force
the company to offer more clarity on where it's headed in
restructuring.  "We're interested in bargaining. But we need information
that we've not been able to get so far," Richard Nolan, a vice-president
for the Air Canada component of the Canadian Union of Public Employees,
says of the Monday talks.  "Air Canada is not being forthcoming with a lot
of things and it makes it  difficult."  On Friday, Mr. Justice James Farley
of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, ordered the unions to meet with
Air Canada and its Jazz and Zip subsidiaries to find a solution to
cost-cutting efforts.  The meeings are slated to begin early Monday morning
at a downtown Toronto hotel.  Unions representing nearly 40,000 employees
have been asked to help the airline achieve some $770 million in wage and
other concessions and about $400 million in benefits and pension reductions.

Air Canada - which entered court-ordered protection from creditors in early
April - had sought resolutions on such changes by June 30. Farley has
ordered Superior Court Justice Warren Winkler to act as a facilitator -
likened to an alternative dispute resolution process - with a practical
deadline of May 21.  Winkler is well-known for presiding over high-profile
corporate disputes and has also been in the public eye in the past for
approving settlements for people infected by hepatitis C in the tainted
blood scandal and for victims of the E. coli outbreak in Walkerton,
Ont.  Winkler is "a very well-established professional, really well
respected, and if he can help the parties, we'll listen to him carefully,"
says Gary Fane of the Canadian Auto Workers, which represents Air Canada
reservation and ticket-counter clerks.

Air Canada has sought near-term 10 per cent pay cuts for staff. On Friday,
it had a breakthrough with one major labour group - the Air Canada Pilots
Association - agreed to take such wages reductions in June and July. The
association's agreement with the company is conditional on a vote of
members due to be completed by May 23.  Nolan wouldn't commit to whether
his CUPE members will also agree to the same temporary 10 per cent wage cut
ahead of the Monday talks.  "We'll have to talk to (the pilots'
association) . . . about their decision," Nolan says.  Critics have
suggested Winkler's involvement creates a court interference in the
collective bargaining process. Nolan says it's too early to say whether the
facilitator will prove to be a help or a hindrance to reaching deals.

The CAW was the only one of Air Canada's main unions to reach a
cost-cutting agreement prior to the airline's bankruptcy-court filing. The
union committed to finding $65 million in savings for the company,
including temporary layoffs for 1,060 employees and the deferral of a 2.5
per cent salary increase that was to take effect April 1.  Fane says that
because the CAW - which met with Air Canada officials over the weekend -
feels it's making progress in its own talks, "we don't know if we need any
help" from Winkler.  "We have a framework of where we're going to find
resolve," Fane said.  However, "we welcome any good ideas we can find," he
adds, calling the decision to involve a facilitator "probably a smart move
by Justice Farley, because in these types of negotiations, the emotions are
quite fierce."  Air Canada (TSX:AC) hasn't commented about Farley's
appointment of Winkler, saying only that it will comply with the order.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/