Re: Trip report GLA-AMS-CDG/BVA-PIK

Alastair, Nice trip report... I love going through AMS although it was my first time in August of 02. Hope to go back to AMS in October... Later.

"Alastair T. Gardiner" <atg3v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Hello everyone,

What follows is a trip report I wrote for the benefit of Scottish airliner
photographic community! We have a lot of nice, enthusiastic guys here but I
hope some of you on Airline list will be interested as well.

Cheers

Alastair

GLA Glasgow International
AMS Amsterdam
CDG Paris-Charles de Gaulle
BVA Paris Beauvais, a tiny airport about 60 miles north of Paris
PIK Glasgow Prestwick

Hi guys!

Made a trip last weekend to Paris. Supposed to be a working two week trip,
but this had to be cancelled, so as the flight was either use it or lose
it, I took the outward segment and came back on low-fare. This report is
mainly photography oriented.

3rd May GLA-AMS KL1470 F100 G-UKFJ Flying time 1hr 11min

Dealyed boarding due to high winds in Amsterdam - they were down to single
runway operation so severly restricted movements. Multi directional-runway
airports are great in good weather but chaos when things turn bad. Whilst
waiting I shot a rotating Spanair 321 that hopefully should come out well.
Through glass I know, but the light even for 6am was great. Pushed back an
hour late and took off on rw23. This is now marketed as a KLM Cityhopper
flight but everything was still KLMuk. The route was across to Newcastle,
down to Norfolk and then across the North Sea to Amsterdam. Breakfast
consisted of either an egg and tomato or cheese and ham roll. due to the
winds we flew past the city Dbefore doubling back to land on rw27. On the
approach I got a great aerial view of the Amsterdam Arena, the Ajax
football stadium. By this time, landings were on 27 and take-offs were on 24.

Due to the delay, the connection time was very short so had to go quicker
than I would have liked to my B1 gate. At Amsterdam there was tons of
interesting stuff but didn't shoot any of it. All through glass and the sun
from the B gates standpoint was directly in front. Saw the yellow European
747, my first Jet2 and the new scheme KLM 744F. Also gald to see the KLM
cargo 'Taking things further' was still about as never shot that one either
yet. Obviously most KLm a/c were old colours but a fair proportion have now
been repainted.

AMS-CDG KL1233 F70 PH-BZO Flying time 47min.

We were bussed out to the commuter ramp and had to wait on the bus for
twenty minutes. The a/c was late in from Berlin and not ready for boarding
- a message that obviously didn't reach the gate staff. Checking my flight
log, happy to say this was my first ever F70 flight. They served another
roll and the flight itself was pretty uneventful. We landed on 27L and
taxied to gate.

Terminal 1 at CDG was undoubtedly revolutionary in its hey-day. Now it is
cramped and confusing, fortunately I knew where to go, collected my
step-ladder from baggage reclaim and was out shooting nice and quick....
but only quick enough to see the green European 747 climb out. A few
minutes earlier and I would have caught it, oh well! I didn't need to be in
Paris itself until later so got a few hours shooting at one of the worlds
grteatest airports for variety.

Interesting stuff (for me) shot were; Thai Royal Barge 744, Air Plus Comet
310 (doing the Argtentinian shuttle from/to Madrid), non-standard c/s Aigle
Azur 734, Cyprus 330 and some nice shots of a Concorde being towed to T2.
Mjor disappointment was my rotating shot of the Max COA which dissolved in
my viewfinder as I panned through. An Olympic 340 pushing back had
projected its APU jetwash through my line of vision and ruined the shot, oh
well again!

Spent the next two days at CDG - fantastic! Shot all the usual suspects
plus highlights in this time were; the Sun D'Or 757 (new grey scheme),
Czech travel 738 (standard and an all white scheme), Mondair 733
(finally!), Pakistan 310, Afrique 310, Nas-Air 310, Germanwings 320,
Armenian 320, non-standard JAT 733, Bonair Excell ATR42, Cabo verde 757 and
another two Concordes. On the Sunday evening a lagre crowd had gathered to
welcome the evening Concorde flight with banners 'Au Revoir Concorde et
Merci' and flags. I believ the last commercial AF concorde flight is 31st
May. Had the pleasure to spend a couple of hours in the company of Luis
Calvo, getting the run down of the current shooting status of Spanish
airports.

6th May BVA-PIK FR078 737-200 EI-CJE 'Jaguar' c/s Flying time 1hr13min.

Everything worked well getting to Beauvais, a bus journey of over an hour
from Paris - and buttoned up on the ramp in prime shooting position was the
highlight of the trip. UN-42323 a Yak42 of Khors Avia, in the same scheme
as the single shot of this a/c on airliners.net. Superb! Our flight to
Prestwick and the Stockholm flight were the only two planes departing. This
modest amount of passengers swamped the small terminal. Our arriving 737
did a tail-wind landing in what I thought was a fairly strong wind. He
seemed to be going at hell of a speed on touch down, the turnaround was
incredibly fast and within twenty minutes of the aircraft landing it was
off again. The route was straight across to London and then up to Scotland.
Got a great view of Stanstead from 32,000 ft. The flight was uneventful
apart from a bout of turbulence. The Ayrshire countryside looked stunning
and arrival into PIK had all the French people gawking out of the windows.
Nothing out of the ordinary at PIK - only the Globespan 733 on the ramp.

All the best,

Alastair

***************************************
Dr. Alastair T. Gardiner

Microbial Photosynthesis Lab 217
Davidson Building
IBLS-Division of Biochemistry & Mol. Biol.
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Scotland

Tel. (+44) 141 330 6449
Fax. (+44) 141 330 4620
E-mail. atg3v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.gla.ac.uk/ibls/BMB/rjc/agardiner.html

Personal web pages at
http://www.geocities.com/atg3v

Have a look at my airliner photography at
http://airliners.net/search/photo.search?emailsearch=atg3v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leo/ORD
Fly on KLM  Royal Dutch Airlines
Vertrekken aan KLM Koninklijk Nederlands