Re: Big planes vs. little ones

With commercial pilots in my family, and can count several friends as
commercial pilots, I can lend a touch of insight.

The bigger planes for many years were the newer planes. Newer = Cooler
= prime pickings.

The larger jets also do longer runs to far-away (exotic) locales that
to many are the reason that pilots took up commercial flying in the
first place.

It's not that they pay the 747 drivers more, it's that the more senior
captains have the seniority to choose their plane and they choose the
747; and they get paid more dollars.

AA's pecking order likely is F100->MD80->737->757->A300->767->777
UA's pecking order likely is A319/320/737->757->767->777/747

Though I do know as these pilots are getting older, many are preferring
the 'shorter'-haul A319/320s as the craft to wind out to their
retirement.

Another example; some of BWIA L1011s crews wanted the A340, while many
wanted the shorter 737 runs to North America.

Matthew