From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Jon Wright
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 2:24 AM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Big planes vs. little ones

I've never understood why so many fees and wages associated with commercial
aviation are based upon the weight of the plane.

Take landing fees. How does a 747 cost and airport more than a 737 to
handle? Take a place like LGA that was suffering total gridlock pre-9/11. If
they charged uniform landing fees, all of a sudden it would make economic
sense to use bigger planes. Airlines wouldn't fly the so many commuters in
and congestion wouldn't be so bad. Sure, this "penalizes" smaller
communities and airlines, but capitalism isn't about "fairness," it is about
allocating scarce resources in the most efficient and productive way.

And pilot wages are also loosely based upon tonnage. Why does a 747 captain
deserve to be paid so much more than a 737 captain? Sure there is more at
stake with the 747 driver, but a 737 pilot flying a bunch of short segments
is working a heckuva lot harder than the folks in the front of a 747
cruising somewhere over the Pacific. Again, this skews the economics of
airline fleet planning. Sure it might make sense to fly 747s, but if the
pilot wages guarantee the plane won't make a profit, airlines sure aren't
going to fly them. Intuivitely, the airmanship required to fly one type of
jet transport over another ought to be similiar.

Jon
--
Jon Wright
mailto:jwright@xxxxxxxxxxx