NYTimes.com Article: Cathay Pacific Asks Staff to Take Leave

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Cathay Pacific Asks Staff to Take Leave

May 7, 2003
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 9:17 a.m. ET

HONG KONG (AP) -- Cathay Pacific Airways said Wednesday
passenger traffic has plunged by 75 percent and bosses are
urging staff to take unpaid leave to keep costs down so
Cathay can ride out the travel slump that followed the SARS
outbreak.

Cathay has 14,000 employees, but spokeswoman Lisa Wong
declined to say how many would need to go off the payroll
on ``special leave.'' Wong declined comment when asked
whether Cathay will impose layoffs if not enough staff take
voluntary leave.

Cathay has lost millions of dollars since the World Health
Organization advised travelers early last month to avoid
Hong Kong. The carrier has grounded 16 of its 79 aircraft
and cut almost half of its flights, Wong said.

Cathay was carrying about 30,000 passengers a day at this
time last year, but the total is now down to about 7,000,
Wong said.

``We have two staff for one passenger,'' Wong said. ``The
situation is really bad and we do not know how long the
reduction in traffic will last.''

Cathay is also seeking to defer payments to suppliers and
is in talks with aircraft makers Boeing and Airbus about
delaying the delivery of jets now on order. Cathay has one
Boeing jet scheduled for delivery this year and five from
Airbus, Wong said.

Cathay said that unlike some airlines in Asia that receive
government support, it has nothing but its cash reserves to
ride out the downturn.

Cathay's board voted this week to cut in half the size of a
proposed year-end dividend for shareholders, which will
result in savings of 935 million Hong Kong dollars ($120
million).

``We need to keep the costs down so when the good times
come back we can make the most of it,'' Wong said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-SARS-Cathay-Pacific.html?ex=1053315688&ei=1&en=5f63e1760f959746

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company