Airlines TakeFlight

Friday May 2, 11:56 AM EDT

Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, the words airline and
leadership haven't been heard in the same sentence very often. That
isn't the case today, however, as the airlines are leading the broader
market. Credit Merrill Lynch for that development as the firm issued a
research note this morning that has money flowing into the sector. From
a trading perspective, the rotation is understandable, but from an
investment perspective, it seems pretty silly.

To that end, Merrill Lynch began its note with three telling
acknowledgments. First, it provided its net loss forecast for the
industry for the next two years: $8.2 bln in 2003 and $2.5 bln in 2004.
Second, the firm conceded that balance sheets have never been as
extended as they are now with debt/cap ratios averaging 95%. And third,
Merrill Lynch added the industry has a ways to go before it is healthy
again. Be that as it may, Alaska Air (ALK 19.53 +1.82), Continental
Airlines (CAL 11.95 +2.05), Delta Airlines (DAL 14.76 +1.76), Frontier
Airlines (FRNT 7.25 +0.99) and Northwest Airlines (NWAC 10.34 +1.79)
were all upgraded to Buy from Neutral.

So, what was it in the note that got the market excited? Well, Merrill
Lynch said it appears the worst may be over for the airlines, that
industry capacity is likely to be somewhat constrained for the next 1-3
years, that the industry restructuring is well underway, and that it
feels the bankruptcy threat, at this juncture, has diminished for most
airlines.

Briefing.com, for its part, upgraded the airline sector nearly a month
ago due to favorable developments that suggested an improvement in
industry fundamentals. In particular, we pointed to the success in the
war with Iraq, the drop in oil prices, and material cuts in labor costs.
However, we tempered our enthusiasm in recognition of the fact that the
industry's sizable losses still make the airline stocks better trading
vehicles rather than investment options.

As for Merrill Lynch, it thinks the stocks could break out of the
trading range they have been confined to since the fall of 2002.
Additionally, it feels that the risk to its 2003 earnings forecasts
could be to the upside rather than the downside. If that comes to
fruition, it would run counter to the constant earnings reductions for
the past several years. On that front, there seems to be room for
optimism, but before getting too carried away, keep in mind that all
that means is that there could be lower losses rather than bigger
losses.

To be sure, we doubt Warren Buffett would be fired up by the thought of
investing in a stock simply because the company might lose less money.
The lack of earnings, though, often gets lost in the dealings of a
momentum-driven market, but in the end, it is earnings growth that is
the foundation for long-term capital appreciation. Sure, we know the
market is buying into the idea that the airline industry is headed back
in the right direction in that respect, but its growth trajectory right
now means losing less rather than earning more-- and that doesn't excite
us at this juncture when looking at things from an investment
perspective.-- Patrick J. O'Hare, Briefing.com