Two groups accept key United concessions

Two groups accept key United concessions

CHICAGO (AP) ? United Airlines moved a step closer to its goal of cutting
labor costs when mechanics and baggage handlers ratified contracts saving
the bankrupt carrier about $4.7 billion over the next six years.  The vote
early Wednesday followed flight attendants' approval Tuesday afternoon of a
contract that will save United $1.9 billion over the same time
period.  Seventy percent of eligible mechanics and 83.2% of eligible
baggage handlers voted to ratify the contract, said Joseph Tiberi, a
spokesman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace
Workers.  "The problems and solutions of the airline's latest crisis go far
beyond labor costs, but immediate action was needed to ensure the survival
of this airline," said Mechanics' union President Scotty
Ford.  Seventy-five percent of eligible flight attendants voted to ratify
the contract, the Association of Flight Attendants announced. Turnout was
63%, suggesting that there was much reluctance about accepting the painful
cuts.  Flight attendants' union president Greg Davidowitch said the results
were necessary but no cause for celebration.

"Today marks an immense step toward stability and security for our airline
and our jobs," he said. However, he added, the sacrifices made by employees
"will have a harsh effect on our work lives and our families."  Approval by
all three groups, following earlier approval by pilots, flight dispatchers
and meteorologists, sealed United's quest to lower its annual labor tab by
$2.56 billion through 2008, or $15.4 billion in total.  But unlike past
labor dramas at United and the recent one at rival American Airlines, the
outcomes ? while important ? wouldn't make or break the carrier's recovery
effort.  If any group had voted down the tentative agreement, United
planned to head to bankruptcy court on May 15 to get a judge to impose its
preferred terms.  The airline called the flight attendants' vote an
important step in providing the cost improvements, productivity changes and
operational flexibility it needs to emerge from bankruptcy and succeed
long-term.  "We understand and appreciate the sacrifices the members of the
AFA have to make," United said in a statement. "Their difficult choices
have given additional momentum to our collective efforts to transform
United into a viable competitive airline and to build a more secure future
for our employees."  The 18,000 flight attendants, who voted from April 16
through midday Tuesday, accepted an agreement calling for 9% wage cuts,
changes in work rules and fewer holidays. The pact would save United $314
million a year.  Two union groups from the International Association of
Machinists and Aerospace Workers held one-day balloting.  Members of IAM
District 141, representing 23,000 ramp, customer service and retail
workers, were asked to approve 13% pay cuts, a 20% co-pay on health
insurance and increased use of part-time help ? a package that would save
United $2.6 billion through 2008.  The 12,000 mechanics, members of
District 141-M, voted on 13% wage cuts and an overhaul of work rules adding
up to $2.09 billion in total savings through 2008.

United's 8,000 pilots already have ratified the biggest chunk of the
savings ? a total of $6.6 billion, including 30% wage reductions and
significant work-rule changes.  The world's second-biggest carrier gained
the leverage of bankruptcy court to impose cuts when it filed for Chapter
11 bankruptcy protection on Dec. 9, and already has used it to get
temporary cuts that expire Wednesday.  Still, United needs to avoid labor
dissension if it is to emerge successfully from Chapter 11 and become
profitable again.  Airline analyst Ray Neidl said it was important for
United to get consensus agreement from all its unions.  "It's a service
business, and if the employees do it voluntarily it bodes a little bit
better for the reorganization than if they have to go to the court and have
it mandated," said Neidl, of Blaylock and Partners. "You can be a very
low-cost airline, but if you don't have employee cooperation you're still
not going to make it."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/