SF Gate: Goodbye to high-flying luxury and a supersonic thrill

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2003/04=
/27/TR269529.DTL

Sunday, April 27, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
Goodbye to high-flying luxury and a supersonic thrill
John Flinn

   Through the porthole-style windows of the Concorde, the sky appears black
and the edges of the horizon bow slightly downward. You're flying so high
you can see the curvature of the planet. You're not quite "on the very
edge of space," as British Airways likes to say, but you can definitely
see it from there.
   As you streak across the upper reaches of the stratosphere at Mach 2,
twice the speed of sound -- literally faster than a speeding bullet -- you
cover 10 miles in the time it takes the flight attendant to top off your
glass with 1988 Tattinger, Comtes de Champagne. Only astronauts and a
handful of military pilots have flown faster and higher. Nobody's ever
flown in grander style.
   And, soon, no one ever will again, at least not in our lifetimes. When A=
ir
France and British Airways announced they were permanently grounding the
12 remaining Concordes -- at the end of May and October, respectively --
they brought to a close one of the most romantic, sexy, pulse-quickening
chapters in the history of travel.
   The supersonic jetliner was born in the 1960s, of the same shoot-for-the-
stars-and-damn-the-expense spirit that led America to send men to the
moon. "In a very real sense, Concorde was our Apollo program," Mike
Bannister, British Airways' chief Concorde pilot, once told me. "It had --
actually, still has -- the same level of technical achievement and
national pride."
   Britain and France agreed to jointly develop the supersonic jet in the
fall of 1962, just as President John F. Kennedy was committing America to
the moon landing. In 1969, while Apollo 11 was being fueled for its
journey to the Sea of Tranquility, the Concorde undertook its maiden
flight. It was an era when we all dared to dream big.
   When Boeing developed the first jumbo jet, the 747, in the mid-1960s, it
was envisioned as a stopgap until the day, thought to be not far off, when
all passenger service would go supersonic. In anticipation, the 747 was
given its distinctive hump so it could be converted to cargo service.
   But noise and environmental concerns severely limited the Concorde's
market,
   and the plodding, chubby jumbos quickly outshone the sexy Concorde on the
airlines' ledger sheets. By one estimate, it costs five to eight times as
much to fly a passenger across the Atlantic on the Concorde as it does on
a modern jumbo. The bean counters won, as I suppose they always must. For
now and the foreseeable future, slow and cheap, rather than fast and
expensive, will rule the skies.
   I was fortunate to fly the Concorde from Heathrow to JFK in 1999, and th=
at
single, 3-hour, 14-minute flight was worth a lifetime of middle seats in
coach class. Even before I boarded, there was the giddy anticipation that
I'd be swapping bon mots with Sting or clinking Champagne glasses with
Claudia Schieffer. "You're pretty much guaranteed to see someone you know
-- a movie star or a rock star or a professional athlete," a frequent
Concorde flier had told me. "Just the other day, I sat behind Eric
Clapton."
   If there were any celebrities on my flight, I didn't recognize them. The=
re
were a lot of people with tanned, chiseled faces buried in the pages of
the Financial Times -- superstars of the mergers-and-acquisitions world,
perhaps, or cabinet ministers of small nations. But, alas, no Claudia
Schiffers.
   After years of flying in cavernous jumbo jets, it was a shock to discover
how small the dartlike Concorde was. It carries just 100 passengers. The
sides of the fuselage curve in above the window seats, and, at 5 foot 8
inches, my head just about scraped the top.
   Its takeoff is about as close as civilians will ever get to being
catapulted off an aircraft carrier. The Concorde's engines roared and the
afterburners kicked in, and I was thrown back in my leather seat as we
accelerated from 0 to 225 mph in 30 seconds. We didn't lumber off the
ground like the ungainly jumbos do; we reared up on our back wheels and
hurtled into the heavens, gaining altitude at a dizzying rate.
   It was loud inside the cabin. I could barely make out a word the flight
attendant said over the howl of the afterburners. Apparently able to read
minds, they kindly and wordlessly refilled my Champagne glass each time
they passed by.
   A panel on the bulkhead announced our altitude and air speed. As it rose
to Mach .95 -- just below the speed of sound -- I thought of Chuck Yeager
in his shuddering X-1 rocket plane. "The consensus of aviators and
engineers," Tom Wolfe wrote in "The Right Stuff," "was that the speed of
sound was an absolute,
   like the firmness of the earth. The sound barrier was a farm you could b=
uy
in the sky." We surged ever faster, and I half expected to see stars turn
into blurry streaks, Star Wars-style.
   As we burst through the sound barrier, though, there was no buffeting, no
shuddering, no sonic boom we could hear. The only indication was the
bulkhead panel that now read Mach 1. It was anticlimactic, really.
   We kept gaining speed and altitude until we topped out at Mach 2 -- 1,350
mph, twice the speed of sound -- and 58,200 feet, nearly twice the height
jumbo jets fly.
   No movies are shown aboard the Concorde -- even if you could hear them
above the engines' roar, there's no time -- but passengers are offered the
finest four-course meals in the sky. Champagnes are rotated among
selections that include vintage Dom Perignon and Cattier Clos du Moulin. I
started with a bowl of Brazilian papaya with strawberries, raspberries and
orange slices, followed by a little carrot-and-bran torte. For the main
course I had a tiger prawn and mango salad with tamarind mint dressing,
accompanied by a rich 1994 Meursault Domaine Ropiteau-Mignon.
   I seemed to be the only one dining. The other passengers around me,
Concorde regulars all, waved off the food and bubbly in favor of Evian
water. I tucked into the cheese course -- Double Gloucester and Italian
Taleggio -- along with a velvety 1980 Chateau Petit Village claret. By the
time the flight attendant came by with chocolate truffles, even I waved
her off.
   In the autumn, on the evening flight from London to New York, Concorde
passengers are treated to a sight no earthbound human has ever beheld: the
sun rising in the west. The jet takes off in darkness, but travels so fast
it catches up with the sun halfway across the Atlantic.
   In a similar vein, my morning flight actually traveled "backward" in tim=
e:
We rocketed off from Heathrow at 10:30 a.m, local time, and touched down
at JFK at 9:44 a.m., local time -- a neat trick. But I was probably the
only passenger on the plane who wished the flight could have lasted just a
little longer.

   E-mail John Flinn at travel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle