Airport authority says US Airways pullout would cost $1.5 billion

Airport authority says US Airways pullout would cost $1.5 billion

PITTSBURGH (AP) ? The Allegheny County Airport Authority will lose almost
$1.5 billion if it can't renegotiate leases and other agreements with US
Airways at Pittsburgh International Airport, the agency said in a
bankruptcy filing Thursday. The documents, known as a "proofs of claim,"
were expected, since without them the authority would lose any damage
claims if the US Airways leaves Pittsburgh or doesn't renegotiate all of
the pacts. But county authorities hadn't publicized how much they stood to
lose if US Airways leaves the airport. Although bond insurance would cover
most or all of the loss, the hit would most likely hurt the county's bond
rating. "Obviously, we hope that this does not occur and we will continue
our efforts to work with US Airways as well as county, state and federal
officials to address the issues US Airways has raised," said Glenn Mahone,
chairman of the authority. "The authority is obligated, however, to file
proofs of claim to protect the authority's interest under a worst-case
scenario." As it emerged from Chapter 11 protection last month, the airline
gave the authority a four-page list of rejected contracts or leases it
filed with its bankruptcy recovery plan. The contracts covered everything
from hangar space to wheelchair and skycap services to fire-extinguisher
maintenance.

The airline is one of the region's largest employers, providing some 8,700
jobs, and accounts for about 80 percent of its air traffic. US Airways has
asked for rent concessions at Philadelphia International Airport, but it
didn't reject any leases or contracts there or in Charlotte, N.C., its
other major hub. County officials have taken that to mean that the airline
is positioning for a clean break from Pittsburgh if it doesn't get new
leases and up to $155 million in improvements to the airport. "This is part
of the normal bankruptcy process," US Airways spokesman David Castelveter
said of Thursday's filings. "We have an enormous debt load in Pittsburgh,
it's extremely expensive to operate in Pittsburgh, and we'll be working
with the state and county to bring down our costs." The airline has said it
still hopes Pittsburgh will be the hub of its new regional jet service,
Mid-Atlantic Airways. Pittsburgh is hobbled by $673 million debt resulting
from more than $1 billion in bonds floated to pay for a new passenger
terminal and other airport improvements done in the 1990s at the request of
US Airways. Under an Airline Operating Agreement, US Airways agreed to pay
a proportional share of expenses at the airport until that debt was paid.
Almost half of the airport's $135 million annual operating budget ? $62
million ? goes for paying off the bonds. And most of US Airways' costs in
Pittsburgh, about $50 million, comes from the airline's share of the debt
payments. US Airways paid $67.1 million in 2002 rental charges and landing
fees last year.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/