Navigate through that bleeping new airport security

04/23/2003 - Updated 09:58 PM ET
Navigate through that bleeping new airport security
By Kitty Bean Yancey, USA TODAY

Running the gantlet of enhanced airport security "can almost be like going=
=20
through the valley of the shadow of death," quips Stanley Greenfield of=20
Jacksonville Beach, Fla. Overstatement? Sure. But tense times, changing=20
rules and procedures, unpredictable metal detectors (will this one bleat or=
=20
not?) and the uncertainty of whether you'll sail through the checkpoint or=
=20
be singled out for a search fill many fliers with dread. To improve their=20
odds, the savvy have overhauled what they wear or carry. "If I could=20
approach security wearing Jockey briefs and flip-flops (sandals), I'd=20
probably do it," says Ross Markwardt of La Quinta, Calif. "I try to=20
anticipate everything that will make me less of a potential bottleneck at=20
the security gate." He and other seasoned travelers share their tips: =95=20
Examine your sole. With metal detectors set to be more sensitive than ever,=
=20
"my dress shoes set off the alarms as I walk through, which means an=20
extensive search and delay," says frequent flier David Govaker of=20
Arlington, Va. "I see more and more business travelers wearing old running=
=20
shoes with their Armani suits to get through security undeterred. Is this a=
=20
new fashion trend?"

Looks like it. Travelers have discovered the false-alarm powers of footwear=
=20
containing metal =97 shanks, clasps, tips =97 and are opting for athletic=20
shoes. Michael Becraft of Reston, Va., adopted sneakers, then stopped=20
wearing business attire for air travel, "because I was not facing customers=
=20
in the airport or in transit" and "felt a bit geekier than usual wearing=20
athletic shoes and business dress." Others are journeying in slip-ons in=20
case they're selected for that take-off-your-shoes drill. "I always wear=20
loafers," says David Hummel of Billings, Mont. "Easy on, easy off." Still=20
others, wanting to leave nothing to chance, are shucking footwear, putting=
=20
them on the conveyor belt and walking through the detector=20
shoeless.  Remember what your mother told you about underwear in case of a=
=20
trip to the hospital emergency room? "I definitely think many frequent=20
fliers have invested in new socks or hose due to the increase in security,=
=20
to avoid embarrassment when taking off their shoes," says flight attendant=
=20
Julene Geilenfeldt.

=95 Take it off. Though travelers have had more than a year to get used to=
=20
stricter security, some are still setting off detectors for avoidable=20
reasons: change left in pockets, a belt buckle the size of Texas.

"Wearing the correct metal detector attire is just common courtesy to the=20
people behind you in line," says Stefan Radloff of Chandler, Ariz. "Waiting=
=20
for someone to fumble with their change, watch, keys, pager, phone, belt=20
buckle, etc., is frustrating ...  and just adds to the lines." Savvy=20
fliers, however, are ready for their security close-up. "I try to strip=20
down," says Sandra Feriancek of Minneapolis. "No belt, no clunky pieces of=
=20
jewelry. I've also quit doing up my hair," which used to be "loaded with=20
bobby and hair pins. Beep!" She has had no problem wearing underwire bras,=
=20
though some women say they have switched to no-wire support after enduring=
=20
a pectoral pat-down. Markwardt and Brian Pier of Springfield, Ill., are=20
among those who have virtually divested themselves of metal when=20
negotiating the checkpoint. Markwardt even wears cheap plastic watches for=
=20
travel.
"I always take off my shoes, and my belt, wallet, ring and watch go in my=20
carry-on bag," Pier says. "I even carry an extra empty envelope in the side=
=20
pocket of my carry-on so that change, keys, etc. can be in the carry-on=20
when I approach security."
Despite all his precautions, he has set off the detector. A screener told=20
him the culprit was the zipper on his pants. But "there are limits to what=
=20
I'll remove to quickly pass through security," Pier sighs. Julie Ann=20
Allender of Lebanon, Pa., has pushed those limits. Fearing a missed flight=
=20
were she stopped and searched, she took off her brass-studded jeans and put=
=20
them on the conveyor. "I had long underwear on. But I can't promise what it=
=20
will be next time!"

=95 Keep hands as free as possible. "I find that using a photo ID holder=20
around the neck frees up hands badly needed for other things during=20
security checks and boarding," says Jerry Fiegel of Lakeland, Fla. Another=
=20
tip: stuff wallets, purses, coats or jackets into carry-ons before=20
negotiating the security checkpoint.

=95 Bag it. Those chosen for searches say that zippered clear bags are the=
=20
way to speed up the process. Contents are easier for screeners to remove=20
and put back, and clear bags "allow the screeners to see without having to=
=20
touch my personal items," says Norman Ross of Charleston, S.C. Another way=
=20
men are using zip-up bags: storing wallets, cellphones and change in a=20
carry-on bag, to reduce the odds of leaving them behind at the checkpoint.

=95 When in doubt, take it out. "Pack light" couldn't be a timelier=20
admonition. Some are sticking to carry-ons to avoid being held up by=20
checked-luggage hassles or to keep valuables close in a time when checked=20
bags are supposed to be left unlocked.
Others are cut to the quick when items are confiscated. Metal nail=20
scissors, that wash-kit staple, still are not allowed in carry-ons. Ditto=20
for those indispensable Swiss army knives.

But even mindful voyagers can face vexation. Flier Jane Snell of Cortland,=
=20
N.Y., worries about the multiple medications she takes in plastic bags in=20
her carry-on. It would be impractical to keep all of them in their original=
=20
labeled bottles, as government regulators suggest. She does carry a list of=
=20
what she's taking; a Transportation Security Administration spokesman says=
=20
the agency encourages travelers to bring along copies of prescriptions or=20
pill-bottle labels. Becraft had the screwdriver from his eyeglass repair=20
kid confiscated by a TSA screener, even though the list of permitted=20
carry-ons includes "eyeglass repair tools (including screwdrivers)." "I=20
took down the badge number of the TSA agent and was going to report it, but=
=20
I thought it was pointless. ... When in doubt, leave it at home."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/