Branson unveils £1 rescue bid for unwanted Concorde

Branson unveils =A31 rescue bid for unwanted Concorde
By Michael Harrison Business Editor

Sir Richard Branson intervened to try to prevent the demise of Concorde l=
ast night – saying he was interested in taking over supersonic serv=
ices when British Airways retires its fleet of seven aircraft this autumn=
=2E

Virgin Atlantic, Sir Richard's long-haul airline, said that when the Cons=
ervative government sold Concorde to BA for =A31 in the 1980s, the agreem=
ent stipulated that if another British company ever wanted to operate the=
 fleet it could.

He said that since BA had confirmed the retirement of Concorde, Virgin ha=
d been inundated with calls from the public and BA staff asking if it cou=
ld keep the aircraft flying. "As a result of the public's response today,=
 I will be asking British Airways to provide me with the full operating f=
igures," he added. "If, having examined the figures, Virgin Atlantic, wit=
h it lower cost base, believes it can make a success of it, we will be as=
king BA to give us the planes for the same price that they were given the=
m together with the slots and other facilities that they use."

But Rod Eddington, BA's chief executive, ruled out the idea of Virgin or =
any other airline flying Concorde. "After 27 years' service, we intend to=
 retire Concorde with dignity. It is an aeroplane which is part of the fa=
bric of our company. We are not going to sell it to someone else."

Mr Eddington said BA had decided to retire Concorde because of falling pa=
ssenger revenues and higher maintenance costs that meant the service was =
now losing millions of pounds a year. Since the crash of an Air France Co=
ncorde near Paris in July 2000, bookings had dipped sharply and the fall =
in revenues had been made worse by the economic downturn and the 11 Septe=
mber attacks. Bookings by business executives, who used to account for 70=
 per cent of traffic, were down by 80 to 90 per cent. Some valuable custo=
mers such as City and Wall Street investment banks had abandoned Concorde=
 altogether after the collapse in share markets.

BA nevertheless pledged that Concorde would go out "on a high" and announ=
ced a series of special fares. Passengers who book within the next week w=
ill be able to fly return from London to New York for half the standard =A3=
8,000 fare.

A range of other fares is on offer including a =A31,999 return trip flyin=
g out by Concorde and returning ordinary economy class. The offers only a=
pply, though, to about 10 of the 100 seats on each flight.

Sir Richard said his intervention might come to nothing but he added: "I =
believe that every effort should be made to keep Concorde flying as it is=
 such an important symbol of British innovation."

If the rescue bid fails, then two of the seven Concordes in the BA fleet =
are expected to find new homes in air museums in the UK. The remainder wi=
ll be sold or donated to overseas museums. Mr Eddington said he had been =
flooded with calls from museums since the announcement.

The retirement of Concorde will result in a one-off =A384m write-down in =
BA's books to cover the value of spares it still carries. That is likely =
to plunge the airline into an accounting loss for the financial year that=
 has just ended.

BA had already cuts its service to New York from two to one a day in resp=
onse to the economic downturn. It will now cease services entirely from t=
he end of October.

Separately, Air France announced that it would retire its Concorde fleet =
at the end of May in an attempt to stem annual loses running at €30=
m to €50m (=A320m to =A334m).

A supersonic journey

1956: Creation of the Supersonic Transport Aircraft Committee at the Roya=
l Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough.

1962: Britain and France join forces to build the supersonic airliner.

1968: First public appearance at the Paris air show.

1976: First commercial Concorde flight leaves Heathrow. Immediate backlas=
h from nearby residents over sonic boom.

1980: Concorde flies from London to New York in record 2 hours, 59mins, 3=
6 seconds.

1989: First sign of engineering problems as section of rudder falls off d=
uring take-off from Christchurch. Two more rudder failures in the next tw=
o years.

2000: July: Air France Concorde crashes in Paris, killing all 109 passeng=
ers and crew.

2001: Flights resumed after safety precautions are introduced.

2003 April: British Airways and Air France announce end of commercial fli=
ghts. =

Roger
EWROPS