Re: [Sky-1] First group of airline pilots set to begin firearms training

Under my signature is the secure skies web page.  For all of those who are
against arming pilots, please read this page with an OPEN mind.

Here's some excerpts from that site.  PLEASE go to the site to get the full
information.
http://www.secure-skies.org/Weapons.asp It is still possible to get weapons
on board an aircraft

http://www.secure-skies.org/Arming_Pilots.asp
Pilots that participate in the FFDO program will continue to execute their
primary command/flying functions except in a dire emergency. FFDO pilots on
cockpit duty will never leave the cockpit to deal with cabin issues or
criminal activity. In any hijacking situation that remains isolated to the
passenger cabin, the FFDO will be trained to remain in the cockpit behind
the reinforced cockpit door. Only when all other measures have failed and
the cockpit door is being broken down will an FFDO be authorized to use his
firearm to protect the airplane.

No pilot will be paid by the U.S. government for participation in the FFDO
program.

Each pilot authorized to carry a firearm in the cockpit would be a
volunteer, would have to pass a rigorous training program and would be
deputized as a Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) upon completion. Even
though these pilots would be trained in law enforcement, they would not be
expected or authorized to stop or prevent criminal activity that remains
isolated to the passenger cabin. The sole purpose of the weapon would be to
deny cockpit access to hijackers and it would be used only in the most
extreme cases where the cockpit door has been broken down and killers are
entering the cockpit.

As airline pilots, we are entrusted with an aircraft valued at many millions
of dollars, thousands of gallons of jet fuel and the un-quantifiable value
of the lives of our passengers. Today's final line of defense for the new
hijacking threat involves the unthinkable specter of a U.S. military fighter
jet shooting down a defenseless passenger airliner. A more reasonable line
of defense prior to that horrendous measure would be to establish the
Federal Flight Deck Officer Program and provide these pilots with the
equipment and training necessary to defend our passengers, crew and
airplane.

http://www.secure-skies.org/Non-Lethal%20Weapons.asp
Non-lethal force escalates a bad situation instead of stopping it
permanently. After using non-lethal force on an attacker, his adrenalin will
be higher and his anger level increased. He must be immediately, permanently
and effectively restrained. This is impossible for pilots to accomplish in a
cockpit. Terrorists work in well-trained teams and it is very unlikely that
untrained passengers will be able to control them.

According to law enforcement professionals, non-lethal weapons are only
recommended when defending against a single, unarmed attacker, and, once an
attacker does even one of the following, lethal force is necessary and
justified: Avails himself of any weapon (even an improvised one), employs an
accomplice, or gives the police officer reason to believe he is a trained
fighter. Today's hijackers meet all these criteria. They are highly
trained-ALPA suspects similar to Special Forces training--and they are armed
and work in groups. All these factors eliminate the use of non-lethal force
as an appropriate response.

When fired, the Air TASER unit continues to deliver its shock for 5 seconds
to keep the attacker down. After five seconds, the impulse is stopped and
recovery time begins. TASER warns that if the attacker is not incapacitated,
or if there are multiple attackers, the user must be prepared to use the
unit as a stun gun; i.e., hand-to-hand combat. It is absurd to place pilots,
upon whose survival the lives of hundreds of people depends, in the position
of engaging in close quarters combat with highly trained terrorists. It is
even more unreasonable to expect a successful outcome.

In the FBI SOAR report dated December 4, 2001, Page 3, the FBI recommends
arming volunteer airline pilots that pass a screening and training program
with handguns. In the same report, page 3, 6th bullet, the FBI states: "Less
than lethal devices, including stun guns and Tasers should not be relied
upon to defend the cockpit of an aircraft." (Emphasis added.)

Perhaps the best reason is that the TSA (a government (i.e. inefficient)
agency doesn't want it.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200302\NAT2003022
4b.html

As far as paying for the training: I don't know.  I have written the APSA to
find out.

David R.
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross
http://www.secure-skies.org/