New filter could eliminate viruses on planes

New filter could eliminate viruses on planes
Last Updated Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:36:02

CALGARY - A Calgary company says it has the technology to prevent Severe=20
Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and other viruses from being spread in an=
=20
airplane. AeroMechancial Services has developed a filter with help from the=
=20
University of Calgary. It's designed to prevent diseases from being spread=
=20
by airline ventilation systems.  "We take out the existing air duct system=
=20
in the aircraft, modify it, put our technology into it and take and radiate=
=20
the air with ultraviolet light radiation," explains Darryl Jacobs of=20
AeroMechanical.  Jacobs says current ventilation systems in aircraft mean=20
up to 150 pathogens =97 bacteria and viruses =97 can be airborne. The=
 company=20
claims "Air Q" could bring that number to zero.
"The ultraviolet light breaks down the proteins on a virus or a pathogen,=20
and kills them."  The company says it has also developed strong=20
disinfectants to kill the network of viruses found on surfaces, such as=20
armrests and food trays.
Douglas Merck, a microbiology professor at the university, says the=20
technology is available to eliminate the spread of disease on aircraft.  "I=
=20
think it's a very viable type of technology," says Merck who says the=20
problem of pathogens could be eliminated on planes within six=20
months.  AeroMechanical Services is working with Health Canada to get=20
approval for Air Q and it's already in negotiations with several airlines.

Written by CBC News Online staff

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/