WestJet won't speed growth as Air Canada falters

WestJet won't speed growth as Air Canada falters

OTTAWA (Reuters) =97 WestJet Airlines, the upstart competitor to national=20
carrier Air Canada, said Thursday it would not speed up its expansion plans=
=20
to take advantage of Air Canada's financial troubles. "We're not going to=20
grow any faster. The easy way to kill an airline is to grow too fast,"=20
Clive Beddoe, chief executive of the no-frills carrier, told reporters in=20
Ottawa. "We'll just keep our pace going the way we're going," Beddoe said=20
reporters after testifying to a parliamentary hearing looking into the=20
plight of Air Canada, which entered bankruptcy protection Tuesday. Beddoe=20
said WestJet, Canada's second largest airline, would shift resources around=
=20
if Air Canada retrenched. "We will certainly be reallocating capacity in=20
the right slots as we see where there is a need and where there's demand,"=
=20
said Beddoe, who has prided himself on being able to make a profit in the=20
current difficult environment. Beddoe said WestJet planned to increase its=
=20
fleet to 44 airlines at the end of this year and more than 50 by the end of=
=20
2004, from 36 airlines at present. Air Canada plans is to emerge from=20
bankruptcy protection with a lower cost structure.
The airline's vice president for government relations, Stephen Markey, said=
=20
after testifying at the committee that Air Canada had already announced=20
plans to lay 3,600 of its 35,000 employees, but more job cuts might follow.=
=20
He also noted the company had pledged to cut capacity by up to 15% in the=20
next few months.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/