Feds developing guidelines for potential SARS-infected airplanes

Feds developing guidelines for potential SARS-infected airplanes

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) =97 Federal officials are developing guidelines to help=
=20
avoid the same type of confusion that greeted a flight from Tokyo to San=20
Jose that carried five people with minor coughs =97 not, as the crew feared,=
=20
the mystery illness that has killed dozens in Asia. Officials with the=20
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday they are working=
=20
with airline and cruise ship associations to standardize a response should=
=20
a passenger show potential symptoms of the new disease. Also Wednesday, a=20
group representing 50,000 flight attendants asked the Federal Aviation=20
Administration to compel airlines to provide them with protective gloves=20
and masks on flights through high-risk areas such as Hong Kong. Worldwide,=
=20
at least 78 people have died and more than 2,200 are believed to be sick=20
with severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, the World Health=20
Organization said. Little is known about the still-spreading illness and=20
health officials are trying to stem any potential panic.

"We want to contain overreaction as much as we want to enhance rapid=20
response," said Martin Cetron, deputy director of the CDC's quarantine=20
division. Public health officials in San Jose appealed for detailed federal=
=20
guidance on the best ways to respond =97 both on board and on the ground =97=
=20
after scrambling Tuesday to respond to the American Airlines flight whose=20
captain reported that five passengers might have SARS symptoms. Even before=
=20
doctors cleared the passengers, their frustration was evident. While they=20
don't want to ignore possible cases, they also don't want potential=20
SARS-carrying planes to generate the kind of fear that led people with=20
doughnut powder on their pants to worry they had been exposed to anthrax in=
=20
the fall of 2001. "If every flight from Asia has someone coughing on it and=
=20
has to go through the same procedure, I just don't see how that's=20
feasible," said Dr. Karen Smith, the Santa Clara County health officer who=
=20
boarded the plane. In San Jose, six ambulances lined up on the tarmac =97=20
about a third of those available in the county, according to San Jose fire=
=20
department officials.

Cetron said that nearly a dozen planes have been evaluated since March 16.=
=20
Usually the CDC has officials at eight international ports of entry =97 now=
=20
it's staffing 23 ports. While the CDC has already distributed some=20
guidelines through airline industry groups, there isn't yet one set of=20
widely distributed best practices. That is the goal of the CDC's=20
consultations with groups such as the Air Transport Association, which=20
represents major U.S. airlines. Complete guidelines could be available in=20
days, he said. Still, the confines of a plane make the ideal precautions a=
=20
challenge: isolating a passenger is tough, and the onboard medical kit=20
might not include surgical masks to put on those showing potential=20
symptoms. The Association of Flight Attendants asked the FAA for an=20
emergency order to require airlines to provide the workers with protective=
=20
equipment. An FAA spokesman said the agency would consider the request.=20
Another simple precaution =97 seeing if the passenger's temperature is above=
=20
100.4 degrees, one of three tests for SARS =97 has met with some resistance.=
=20
"We haven't gotten there," Cetron said. "We were told that we had to be=20
mindful of the fact that flight attendants are not health care=
 professionals."

Other solutions are doable, such as asking pilots to alert officials on the=
=20
ground as soon as possible so doctors can prescribe a response=20
proportionate to the potential threat. American Airlines began posting=20
guidance from the World Health Organization =97 including assiduous=20
handwashing and an early call to the airline's on-duty doctor =97 on its=20
internal Web and e-mail services in mid March, spokeswoman Andrea Rader=20
said. "We're pretty much adhering to whatever the CDC tells us to do,"=20
Rader said. But such responses have not been uniform. Northwest Airlines=20
said it wasn't until Monday that it updated its guidelines to reflect CDC=20
recommendations.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/