NYTimes.com Article: The Trenches of Business Air Travel

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

The Trenches of Business Air Travel

April 1, 2003
By JOE SHARKEY

THERE are at least a few places I would rather be at 6 a.m.
than the Newark airport, but at least I wasn't alone. The
departure lounge for my Continental flight to Chicago last
Wednesday morning was full of business travelers, many
already talking into cellphones - the postdawn party lines
of the damned - or tapping on laptops. The electronic
message board behind the check-in desk blinked a grimly
disconsolate admonition, over and over and over: "WORK HARD
. . . FLY RIGHT."

Unlike most of my fellow travelers, I didn't actually have
to be there. These days, with a war on, it's the grunts,
the corporate infantry, who are taking most of the business
trips. I had decided to join them on an arbitrarily chosen
30-hour itinerary: Newark to Chicago to Cleveland to
Atlanta and back to Newark. Here's how it went:

WEDNESDAY, 6:45 A.M. Departure for Chicago. At least, I
figured, I'd be sitting in first class and able to get some
breakfast. I fly so much on Continental that I have the
midlevel gold-elite status in the airline's frequent-flier
program. That's supposed to be virtually a guarantee of an
upgrade to first.

Except that's changed, evidently. Not only was I not
sitting in first, I was consigned to the dread middle seat
in a 737. "I see they're upgrading to the middle seat now,"
chuckled the guy next to me. Breakfast was something called
a Power Bar that tasted like candy.

8:15 A.M., CHICAGO TIME. I headed for the Continental
Presidents Club lounge at O'Hare International Airport.
Airlines have been consolidating facilities, and at O'Hare,
Continental's club and Northwest's WorldClubs share a
single overcrowded lounge with barely room to sit and read
the paper. The bagels had the consistency of a dry sponge.

10 A.M. I hoofed it over to Terminal 1, to the United
Airlines Red Carpet Club, where the attendant was only too
happy to take my $50 for a one-day pass (it allows you to
bring in two guests, by the way). The United club is
capacious, with lots of work cubicles and lounge chairs -
one reminder of why United was once considered the class
act in business travel. But the bagels there were awful,
too, though these had the texture of Army blankets.

12:20 P.M. To Cleveland, unexpectedly on a tiny Embraer 145
regional jet. On this type of jet, which the airlines are
using more often as they cut capacity, egalitarianism
prevails, there being no first-class cabin at all to sulk
over. Embraer 145's have overhead spaces about the size of
a glove compartment in a 1968 Chevy, and seat
accommodations on the order of amusement-park rides. At the
jetway, an airline functionary seized my single carry-on
bag, the size of a modest backpack, with my laptop inside.
It must be checked into the cargo hold, I was informed.

3 P.M. At the Cleveland airport. I jogged a half mile for
the connecting flight to Atlanta - on another little
Embraer 145. Again, my carry-on was seized. No time for
lunch at the airport, so I stared sadly at the food cart in
the little galley across from my seat. A sign pasted on it
said, "Snacks to be given out ONLY on return flight to
hub." That meant no food on this flight.

6 P.M. At the Atlanta airport, I boarded the shuttle bus
for the Embassy Suites Airport Hotel. The driver, Kay, was
one of those people who seem actually delighted to see
customers, in sharp contrast to some of the grouchy airline
workers I'd encountered that day.

7 P.M. I like Embassy Suites. Big rooms, attentive service
and free drinks and snacks at happy hour (also, a free full
breakfast). After dinner, I had work to do, and the hotel
offered wireless Internet service cheap: $9.95 for 24
hours.

8 P.M. In my room, I opened a notebook computer that I had
recently bought, and found that the battery had been
cracked, obviously en route. I phoned Continental's service
line. After all, I complained, I'd expected to be able to
carry my little carry-on and had no intention of letting
the computer out of my possession. "We don't cover
electronics," a very polite agent told me. However, she did
speak to a supervisor, who ruled that I could file a claim
for a maximum of $100.

9 P.M. With the computer on the power cord, I fiddled for
an hour, but the hotel Internet wireless service didn't
work. In the lobby, a clerk explained that the system was
new, and was spotty in some parts of the hotel. He refunded
my $9.95

THURSDAY, 8 A.M. The shower in my room didn't work, either.
It behaved like a comedian doing a spit-take. But at least
the staff was aghast about it. When I checked out, the desk
clerk gave me a printed note that said, "We regret to
inform you that we are experiencing very low or no water
pressure due to a water main break." The note was signed,
"Angela Drains, manager on duty."

12:30 P.M. Homeward bound on a 737, I'd wangled an aisle
seat in the emergency exit row, but found to my amazement
that the exit row didn't have extra legroom. However, there
was a space where the window seat should be.

Beside me, hunched in the middle seat, Matthew Denton, a
circulation manager who covers 26 states for U.S. News &
World Report and is on the road almost every week, reckoned
that's where the extra legroom came in. "You just have to
figure out a way to sit sideways," Mr. Denton said with a
chuckle, sounding like one of those hard-core business
travelers, the ones who aren't fazed by much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/01/business/01ROAD.html?ex=1050211063&ei=1&en=043cdf28da482590

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company