Re: Business Question

Mike Gammon wrote:

Snip

<<<<<
Those pilot 6 days are not ordinary 6 days. =A0 A top 747-400 chauffeur is
earning $200k but is also working the real long hauls.

Those 6 days can involve 6 back-and-forth 12 hour plus time zone changes;
they also involve 10-14 hour flights. =A0 The "average" work week is nominal=
ly

Amen!=20

People (the public) have to understand how this actually works, and Mike=20
Gammon has given a good indication in his post.

Piloting skills are unique and perishable. These skills are built up over a=20
long period. The airmanship skills are irreplaceable at the wide body level.=
=20
Granted, there is a high level of avionics automation and systems redundancy=
=20
on the flightdeck; along with a lot of qualified help. Our crews are super=20
qualified (just compare the US/western carrier safety record with some other=
=20
pilot groups. There are more than a few major non-USA / non-western carriers=
=20
I flat out will not use.)

Consider the levels of judgment and experience that are required to get you=20=
&=20
me and 300 others safely onto the ground in a blowing snowstorm, or a giant=20
crosswind. I say "pay 'em what they're worth." As M. Gammon contrasts in his=
=20
nice sports analogy, $200K doesn't sound out of line when the necessary=20
responsibilities and skills are duly considered.

RGDS

Mike
SFO