Re: Business Question

Those pilot 6 days are not ordinary 6 days.  A top 747-400 chauffeur is
earning $200k but is also working the real long hauls.

Those 6 days can involve 6 back-and-forth 12 hour plus time zone changes;
they also involve 10-14 hour flights.  The "average" work week is nominally
150 hours for the earth-bound.  Those 6 days are only half that, if you
include air time only.  But keep in mind that the pilot is there at the
airport a couple of hours ahead to check Wx, dispatch information, flight
plan, etc.  So a pilot flying say JFK-NRT will have 14 hours flying (albeit
with some crew rest time on board), maybe 2 at the airport before the
flight, for say 16 hours.  Multiply that by 6 and that's 96 hours.  Then add
the fact that those are "away days", no chance to adjust to circadian
rythms, etc.

Having travelled internationally quite a bit I can tell you it's no picnic,
you can be wonked for days after such a trip.  I once travelled to Korea,
and once to Chile, to visit a single customer each time and ended up being
away only 4 days on each trip, with the majority of my rest time being on
board a flight.  That probably matches a typical turn-around for a long-haul
747 crew.  Let me tell you the fatigue levels afterwards were memorable.

And don't  forget to toss in recurring sim training, pilot proficiency
checks, and you realize that those 6 media days are not quite what they
seem.

The guy (or increasingly, gal) up front has to put up with all of that, and
be directly responsible for the well-being of 300+ souls sitting aft and
below.

Considering that professional athletes can make in the 10s of millions to
fumble the ball on your TV screen for a couple of months a year, $200k for a
pilot seems reasonable to me.

Mike Gammon