BWIA denies could close doors in one day

BWIA denies it?s going under.

Insisting it was in the air to stay, BWIA yesterday strongly denied an
Express news report that suggested the airline could close in 24 hours.

And the airline has written to managing director of Caribbean Communications
Network, Craig Reynald, demanding the Express retract yesterday?s lead
story, or the airline will consider its legal options.

The story had a sub-headline ?Airline could shut down in 24 hours?.

?That headline put us at odds with our travelling public, our staff and the
Government, our one potential source of desperately needed assistance,? a
BWIA spokesman said yesterday.

The headline was also a ?very careless and reckless way to treat with the
future of a company,? the spokesman said.

The airline also denied it had given the Government ?a dramatic and
desperate ultimatum?.

The BWIA spokesman said the report had caused an international uproar, as
there had been widespread cancellations of bookings in its wake.

The airline also received calls from some of its creditors.

BWIA president Conrad Aleong said: ?Like every other airline, we have been
deeply affected by the war in Iraq, which is beyond our control, but we are
not without plans and not without options.

?While today?s Express headline is very disturbing, it does not reflect
reality. There is no way BWIA would issue an ultimatum to the Government.
There is no need to panic ? BWIA will not close down today.?