BWIA denies it?s going under

BWIA denies it=92s going under
Guardian 03.29.03

Insisting it was in the air to stay, BWIA yesterday strongly denied an=20
Express news report that suggested the airline could close in 24=20
hours.  And the airline has written to managing director of Caribbean=20
Communications Network, Craig Reynald, demanding the Express retract=20
yesterday=92s lead story, or the airline will consider its legal options.=
 The=20
story had a sub-headline =93Airline could shut down in 24 hours=94. =93That=
=20
headline put us at odds with our travelling public, our staff and the=20
Government, our one potential source of desperately needed assistance,=94 a=
=20
BWIA spokesman said yesterday.

The headline was also a =93very careless and reckless way to treat with the=
=20
future of a company,=94 the spokesman said. The airline also denied it had=
=20
given the Government =93a dramatic and desperate ultimatum=94. The BWIA=20
spokesman said the report had caused an international uproar, as there had=
=20
been widespread cancellations of bookings in its wake.  The airline also=20
received calls from some of its creditors. BWIA president Conrad Aleong=20
said: =93Like every other airline, we have been deeply affected by the war=
 in=20
Iraq, which is beyond our control, but we are not without plans and not=20
without options.  =93While today=92s Express headline is very disturbing, it=
=20
does not reflect reality. There is no way BWIA would issue an ultimatum to=
=20
the Government. There is no need to panic =97 BWIA will not close down=
 today.=94

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/