NYTimes.com Article: American Airlines Is Called Close to Seeking Bankruptcy

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

American Airlines Is Called Close to Seeking Bankruptcy

March 28, 2003
By EDWARD WONG and RIVA D. ATLAS

American Airlines, its business suffering as war fears
ground travelers, may seek bankruptcy protection as early
as next week, according to two bankers who have been
briefed on the carrier's efforts to line up financing ahead
of a filing.

Executives at the airline, the world's largest, worry that
labor cost cuts under discussion with unions may not be
enough to return the carrier to profitability, one of the
bankers said yesterday.

Tara Baten, a spokeswoman for American, said that the
airline, a unit of AMR, still hoped to avoid a Chapter 11
filing.

"There's been rampant speculation on this for many weeks,
and the fact is that our commitment, our plan and our focus
is to do everything possible to avoid bankruptcy," she
said. "We continue to have face-to-face negotiations
working around the clock, and we remain hopeful that we can
restructure the company consensually with our labor groups,
rather than in the courts."

A bankruptcy filing by American would almost certainly be
the largest in aviation history, and it would follow
closely on the heels of filings last year by the No. 2
airline, United, and by US Airways, the No. 6 domestic
carrier.

Those airlines' schedules, frequent-flier programs and
other operations were not immediately affected by their
retreats into bankruptcy protection, and experts said
travelers could expect the same if American filed. But US
Airways eventually cut back on flights and began using
smaller jets on some routes, and United is now doing the
same.

According to the bankers, American is looking to put
together more than $1.5 billion in debtor-in-possession
financing, which would allow it to maintain its operations.
The potential lenders, the bankers said, are Citibank, a
unit of Citigroup; J. P. Morgan Chase; and the CIT Group.
Citibank, which issues a credit card tied to American's
frequent-flier program, would be the lead lender.

One banker said that the package could be assembled over
the weekend. The other said that even if American did not
reach an agreement with the lenders by next week, the
airline could still file for bankruptcy protection and
complete the financing shortly afterward. If its financial
situation looked bleak enough, American would want to file
for bankruptcy protection as soon as possible to preserve
its cash.

"People are being asked by AMR to work as quickly as
possible," this banker said. "People are still in analysis
mode. People weren't working on a time line for next week.
They were working for a little bit beyond that."
Previously, he said, bankers had expected that American
would not file before late in the spring.

Passenger traffic has declined sharply for all airlines
since the United States invaded Iraq last week. American
has announced plans to cut 6 percent of its seats, all from
international routes; even before the war began, it had
planned to cut its capacity by 7 percent in April, from
domestic flights.

Last week, Hawaiian Airlines, the nation's No. 12 carrier,
sought court protection, even after it had negotiated $15
million in annual contract concessions from its unions.

Shares of AMR closed at $1.79 yesterday, down 18 percent.
The stock was over $26 a year ago.

Early last month, American said it was asking its workers
for $1.8 billion in annual wage, benefit and work rule
concessions, aiming to cut a total of $4 billion from
expenses every year. It has requested $660 million from the
Allied Pilots Association, whose negotiators are expected
to present a cost-cutting package equaling that amount to
union leaders by the weekend. The leaders will probably
vote on the cuts before Tuesday.

Gregg Overman, a union spokesman, said yesterday that the
union presumed that American's accelerated search for
bankruptcy financing was "part of the airline's contingency
planning."

On Wednesday, the union said American was engaging in
"bad-faith negotiations" by saying it might have to lay off
1,000 pilots. The union argued that American had agreed not
to seek cost savings beyond the $660 million. American said
the layoffs were part of cuts that had already been
announced.

Both sides stuck to their positions yesterday.

"We're
saying we have kept our word, and we're not changing what
we're asking of our employees," said Ms. Baten, the
American spokeswoman.

Mr. Overman said that the layoff threat "seems
nonsensical." The $660 million cost-savings package will
include job cuts, he said, as pilots are required to work
more hours.

Still, Mr. Overman added, negotiators were meeting with
company officials in Texas until late into the night.

"We agreed that they have a situation that needs to be
addressed," he said.

Yesterday, American said that it had reached a tentative
agreement for concessions from its 16,300 fleet service
workers. The workers are one of eight groups represented by
the Transport Workers Union, one of the three big unions at
American.

Both the airline and the union declined to give details of
the tentative agreement.

United, a unit of UAL, reached a tentative agreement with
the Air Line Pilots Association yesterday over wage and
benefit cuts, and that could put pressure on the pilots'
union at American to accept deeper reductions, one banker
said. US Airways, meanwhile, is expected to emerged from
bankruptcy protection on Monday.

One bankruptcy lawyer in Fort Worth, where American is
based, said that the airline might file in its hometown
because it would probably get a favorable reception in the
bankruptcy court there.

But the lawyer noted that Weil, Gotshal & Manges, the law
firm that American asked in January to look into a
bankruptcy filing, is based in New York, so the airline
might file there. If so, American's would be one of several
huge recent bankruptcy filings in that court, including
those of Enron and WorldCom.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/28/business/28AIR.html?ex=1049861392&ei=1&en=4a05819f7a44fd89

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company