America West pilots reject labor contract

America West pilots reject labor contract

PHOENIX (AP) =97 America West Airlines pilots rejected a proposed contract=
=20
Tuesday, saying the retirement benefits and job security provisions offered=
=20
were inadequate. About 1,400 pilots voted, with roughly 73% rejecting the=20
proposed three-year agreement. The pilots rejected the contract because=20
they were unable to get additional retirement benefits, said Peter=20
Blandino, chairman of the local chapter the Air Line Pilots Association.=20
Currently, they have only a 401k plan. The pilots were also concerned about=
=20
provisions in the contract they feared could be used to replace them with=20
more regional pilots if America West's regular business shrinks, he said.=20
"I don't think the pilots were shocked as much as dissatisfied about what=20
was offered," Blandino said. "The pilots are pretty sanguine and realistic=
=20
about what is going on in the economy and the industry."
America West pilots are at the bottom of the industry pay scale, but=20
airline officials have said the pay is being compared to that of larger=20
airlines, such as Delta, instead of similar low-cost airlines like American=
=20
TransAir. America West, the nation's eighth largest carrier, has posted=20
losses for nine straight quarters. America West is McCarran International=20
Airport's second largest carrier.

Company officials have argued that an agreement with the federal government=
=20
to win backing for a $380 million federal loan included setting ceilings on=
=20
annual pay increases for workers. "We are disappointed that our pilots=20
voted against ratification of the agreement between America West and the=20
Air Line Pilots Association, particularly given the economic realities=20
facing our industry and our company today," said Douglas Parker, chairman=20
and chief executive officer. America West pilots began negotiating with=20
management in February 2000. The National Mediation Board assigned a=20
federal mediator to facilitate the talks in May 2001. The mediation board=20
suspended talks following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The two sides=20
resumed negotiating last March, and the pilots association and management=20
reached the tentative agreement in December. It called for an immediate 11=
=20
percent pay raise and a 3 percent raise in 2005. Blandino said he expects=20
new negotiations to begin by July. "The  ccnext step is to get back to the=
=20
table and see where those friction points were and try to resolve them," he=
=20
said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/