Airline puts stubborn tot on watch list ...Put off plane after refusing seat-belt, hiding under seat

Airline puts stubborn tot on watch list ...Put off plane after refusing
seat-belt, hiding under seat
Lee Greenberg   The Ottawa Citizen

Blame it on the terrible twos, an ill-timed temper tantrum or grandparents
who simply refused to put an apoplectic child in his seat. Whatever. The
result was that two-year-old Marcello Ferrand was forcibly removed from an
airplane over the weekend after he refused to fasten his seat-belt. The
incident began as British Airways flight 565 departed the gate of Milan's
Linate airport Sunday. As the plane taxied to the runway and cabin crew
went through the final steps of their safety demonstration -- ensuring that
tabletops and seat-belts were fastened and seats were in the upright
position -- they happened upon Marcello. The boy, travelling back home to
London from a family vacation with his grandparents, Mariella DeNatale, 70,
and Peter Van Schalwyk, 64, refused to put on his seat-belt. "Three cabin
staff crowded round him," Mr. Van Schalwyk told the London Evening
Standard. "They were quite aggressive. When one appeared with a special
child seat-belt, Marcello took fright and hid under the seat." Officials
from British Airways said they tried acting reasonably with the
grandparents, even offering to help put the child in his seat. But nothing
worked.

"It's European law that you need to wear your seat-belt during takeoff,
landing and when the seat-belt signs are on. It's actually a legal
requirement," said British Airways spokeswoman Karen Franklin.  "So the
cabin crew pointed this out three or four times to the adult passenger.
They said 'you know, you need to put your seat-belt on otherwise the
captain is unable to take off.'" Finally, the captain left the cockpit and
made a last-ditch attempt to get Marcello strapped in. It didn't worked.
The plane was forced to taxi back to the airport and the trio was escorted
off the plane by Italian police. They say they were forced to buy tickets
on another airline, at a cost of $700, the Evening Standard said.
Afterwards, Marcello's grandmother said the cabin crew had overreacted and
had been responsible for scaring the child in the first place, the
newspaper reported.

"The police came aboard, checked our passports and then took us to a
waiting car," said Ms. DeNatale, a former fashion editor for Vogue magazine
in Italy. "I have flown all over the world and never had an experience like
this. I felt like a Third World citizen." British Airways officials
countered that they carry more than 500,000 children every year, all of
whom wear their seat-belts. "It's not been a problem," said Ms. Franklin,
who nevertheless admitted she sympathized with Marcello's grandparents. "I
think most mothers and fathers realize that a child doesn't like to be
strapped in anywhere," Ms. DeNatale told the Evening Standard. In 2001, an
83-year-old woman was charged with assault after allegedly assaulting two
crew members on a flight from Toronto to Manchester. But Ms. Franklin was
reluctant to label Marcello's case as air rage. "I don't think it could be
qualified as seriously as that," said Ms. Franklin. Although no charges
were laid, Marcello and his grandparents will have a permanent record of
sorts. British Airlines will allow them to fly aboard their planes in the
future, but with a zero tolerance policy on seat-belts. Just in case, said
Ms. Franklin, their names will be flagged in the airline's computer. "Our
cabin crew and check-in staff would be briefed beforehand," she said. Ms.
DeNatale said that wouldn't be a problem: "We were treated like rubbish,"
she told the Evening Standard. "It was a very bad experience. I will never
buy another ticket with BA."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/