A revealing look at security screening

By Jayne Clark, USA TODAY

Have you heard the one about the nun in the Amarillo, Texas, airport? A=20
surprised inspector opened her suitcase to find 10,000 condoms that were=20
destined for a relief project in Africa.Though the story may be the stuff=20
of urban legend, it illustrates this new reality: At the airport, what's=20
tucked inside your bag isn't sacred anymore. In fact, it can be hazardous=20
to your dignity.
Ditto for cruise ships, which have been on high security alert after 9/11=20
and reserve the right to thoroughly search passengers' luggage. And last=20
month, some customers flying on commuter airlines were chagrined to learn=20
they had to divulge their weight before they could climb aboard. (The FAA=20
was attempting to determine whether guidelines for estimating passengers'=20
weights were accurate and has since ended the test.) Planning a trip? Carry=
=20
a government-issued ID, wear clean socks and hang onto your self-respect.=20
Most travelers appreciate that an era of Code Orange terrorist alerts calls=
=20
for extraordinary measures. But humiliating measures? From full-body=20
friskings to revealing one's weight to having unmentionables displayed,=20
travel security is increasingly causing red-faced moments.

"I had a short nightgown displayed for Spokane's traveling public, and each=
=20
piece of underwear not strapped down fell to the floor as (the screener)=20
went through the contraband," says Kathi Ramirez, 50, of Fremont, Calif. "I=
=20
have never been so embarrassed in my life." Ramirez, an account executive=20
for a technology company, travels frequently for business and says=20
conditions have improved since federal employees took over at airport=20
security checkpoints. Still, she adds, "There are just so many C cups they=
=20
can handle before becoming immune to propriety." Travel agency owner Alan=20
Gerstner of Wilmette, Ill., thought he had the security routine down pat.=20
But on a jaunt in December through Chicago's O'Hare airport, he got hung up=
=20
at security for 25 minutes. The offending substance: Metamucil. In the=20
process of searching his toiletry bag, the screener removed an unmarked jar=
=20
containing the powdered laxative. The exchange, according to Gerstner, 49,=
=20
went something like this:

Screener: What's in the jar?
Gerstner: Metamucil.
Screener (speaking loudly): WHAT IS METAMUCIL?
Gerstner: It's a laxative.
Screener: A WHAT?
The screener fetched a supervisor, who asked Gerstner, "So what is this=
 stuff?"
Gerstner: Metamucil, a laxative. Go ahead and taste it.
Supervisor: No way!

The supervisor fetched a manager who examined the contents, went through=20
the what-is-this? drill and ultimately confiscated the jar. "It was a slow=
=20
morning. There was no one there when I got there. There was a crowd when I=
=20
left. And they all knew I had Metamucil," Gerstner says. But like Ramirez,=
=20
Gerstner believes conditions are getting better at the airports. "They're=20
not taking stuff out and just leaving it there. They're actually repacking=
=20
it," he says. The new Transportation Security Administration, which by=20
mid-November had taken over the task of passenger screening in all  429=20
U.S. airports, is generally drawing high marks from travelers. Even Judith=
=20
Martin, the finicky syndicated columnist known as Miss Manners, praised=20
screeners for their professional courtesy in a column. Besides technical=20
training, the TSA's screener curriculum (45 hours of classroom instruction=
=20
and 60 hours of on-the-job training) puts a heavy emphasis on=20
customer-service principles, from maintaining eye contact to asking instead=
=20
of ordering.

They're taught to be courteous while "understanding that the passenger=20
isn't necessarily going to enjoy this," says Kurt Krause, a former Marriott=
=20
executive who was recruited by TSA to develop the customer-service=20
curriculum. " 'Yes, ma'am' and 'May I?' go a long way." Of the initial 1.6=
=20
million applicants for screener jobs, 100,000 were interviewed and assessed=
=20
for qualities such as patience and responsiveness. The 55,000 who were=20
hired "came through a very extensive battery of tests," says TSA associate=
=20
administrator Gale Rossides. Thus far, their attrition rate is a mere 4%,=20
even more remarkable considering it was 100% to 200% annually under the=20
previous system, in which the airlines hired private security companies.=20
But no amount of classroom role-playing can prepare screeners for every=20
situation. Take the exchange =97 or lack thereof =97 that Walt Greene, a=20
straight-talking University of Texas-Pan American professor, had with a=20
screener who questioned him about a medical device that helps the=20
73-year-old maintain an erection.

"She dropped it back in my suitcase and turned beet red," he says. "And she=
=20
didn't want to inspect anything else."
Chuck Peterka, a 53-year-old restaurant owner from Oxford, Ohio, drew a=20
similar reaction at Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport. Lacking the French=20
skills to tell the soldier wielding "a very serious gun" that the metal in=
=20
his knee replacements was setting off the alarm, Peterka started to drop=20
his pants to show him the scars. The military man blushed and waved him=20
through.
But airline passengers can't say they haven't been warned that what's in=20
their bags is subject to scrutiny. Not so with the busload of cruisers=20
being ferried last month from the Orlando airport to Carnival Cruise Lines'=
=20
Fantasy. En route, the driver announced that security had been tightened,=20
and they should be prepared for bag searches more thorough than those at=20
the airports.

Some passengers visibly blanched. And one woman quipped, "What about my sex=
=20
toys?" Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz says all bags are=20
electronically screened, though if a hand search were needed, the passenger=
=20
likely would be contacted.
"I think it's understood and expected there's going to be an intensive=20
security screening," she says. Meanwhile, maintaining a sense of humor =97=
 or=20
at least a calm demeanor =97 seems the best strategy for maintaining one's=
=20
dignity in times like these. John Palshaw, 70, of Carmel, Calif., figured=20
casual attire =97 shorts, sandals, no belt =97 would help him breeze through=
=20
airport security on a January trip out of Monterey. Instead, the screener=20
"felt obliged to put his hand inside my shorts behind where the belt buckle=
=20
would have been. I told him there was nothing in there but fat," says the=20
marketing firm owner. "I think he's still laughing." And Virginia-based=20
aerospace executive Douglas Manuel is just grateful for small favors.=20
"Every time I fly and am forced to remove my shoes, I'm grateful Richard=20
Reid is not known as the Underwear Bomber," he says.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/