NORTHWEST ANNOUNCES CODE-SHARING DEAL WITH GREYHOUND

(from Joe Brancatelli today)

Northwest Airlines said Wednesday that it had
concluded a code-share and marketing agreement with
Greyhound, the nation's largest bus line.

Effective immediately, Northwest said it would put its
"NW" code on Greyhound bus routes to and from the
carrier's hubs at Minneapolis, Detroit and Memphis.
Beginning March 15, Northwest will phase out flights
to any city where Greyhound offers competing bus
service.

"We're committed to driving down costs and it's more
efficient for us to code-share with Greyhound rather
than run our own flights," said Northwest president
Doug Steenland. "We believe Northwest customers will
find that Greyhound offers a level of service
consistent with what they have come to expect on
Northwest."

In a related matter, Steenland confirmed that
Northwest is in conversations with Japan's Yokohoma
Lines (YL) about a potential code-share deal. "We're
in the preliminary stages," Steenland said, "but we
think the opportunity exists to eliminate some of our
transpacific flights, rationalize our Narita hub and
code-share with YL on their tramp steamers."