Air Canada must transform itself into low-cost carrier, CEO Milton says

AMY CARMICHAEL Canadian Press   Thursday, February 20, 2003

VANCOUVER (CP) - Air Canada won't use old-style airline management in the
face of dismal results but transform itself into the kind of low-cost
carrier that is winning in the post-Sept. 11 market, says its
president.  "This time we are not looking at planes and schedules and
seats," chief executive officer Robert Milton said Thursday. "We are
looking at the new realities of the marketplace." Air Canada has
traditionally catered to the full-fare and business traveller, which used
to make up the majority of business, said Sam Barone, an independent
airline analyst. Now those figures have flipped and upwards of 80 per cent
of passengers are chasing seat sales and deals.  "Market psychology is the
deciding factor," he said. "People want discount fares and nothing else and
in order to provide that Air Canada has a massive restructuring job ahead
of them."  Milton told the Vancouver Board of Trade the airline can succeed
in the new market with a more flexible workforce and lower staff
costs.  "Air Canada's salaries and benefits represent over 30 per cent of
our operating costs - over $3 billion annually - and we must do things
differently," he said.

The company is meeting with unions but faces a formidable challenge in
negotiating a new deal, he said, but it is the best avenue for
improvement.  "If we had our main low-cost competitor's work rules, pay
scales and so on, we would drop $1.3 billion to our bottom line," said
Milton.  Instead, the company had to cut $1.3 billion this year.  It has
cut costs by shifting to online bookings through promotions and
reorganizing planes to add more seats at relatively low cost.  Air Canada
is also selling stakes in components of the business that have been
successful, such as Aeroplan. Milton said the sale of a significant
interest in Air Canada Technical Services is being investigated. So is the
creation of an airport ground handling services subsidiary.  Barone said
Air Canada is up to the challenge and noted they are leading the pack of
old-style, so-called legacy carriers.  "They're doing a lot better than a
lot of the U.S. carriers that are really being battered," he said.

U.S. Airways and United Airlines are already under bankruptcy protection
and there is constant speculation about when American Airlines will make
its trip to bankruptcy court.  These carriers, and Air Canada, were built
on an old business model of being all things to all people, Barone
said.  Milton said it's painfully obvious that model now is obsolete.  "It
makes for an inflexible cost structure, a mammoth distribution
infrastructure which relies heavily on computer reservation systems and a
vast airline network which is unnecessary for the price-conscious
traveller," he said.  Barone said there's no reason Air Canada wouldn't
succeed once it reorganizes but it's a massive job.  "It's such a big
organization that there isn't one thing that will turn this around, it's a
total overhaul of the business model and cost structure."  The company got
a minor leg up from the federal government in Tuesday's budget when airport
security taxes were reduced.  But Ches Chard, a spokesman for the
Association of Canadian Travel Agents, said it will only have a minor
impact on bookings.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/