Re: Fliers' fear factor returns in 'a rotten time to travel'

At 12:07 PM 2/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I still say its fear of the 'hassle factor' and extreme discomfort of  flying
>in the USA these days.  My family and several friends all have postponed or
>avoided flying NOT because of any terror fears but just cause travel today is
>a real pain-not any fun at all.
>Dennis

I have to wonder how much of this is a game of perceptions. With the minor, but
distinct exception of paying more attention to scheduling for food issues,
I haven't
seen travel get a lot worse. Yeah, I'd rather be able to have my Swiss Army
Knife
and leatherman still live in my briefcase, but that's not exactly a deal
breaker.

With less hub-packing and lower utilization in place like LGA, I've seen
far fewer
flight delays, and less overall schedule chaos. Even with total bag
screening in place,
I've yet to see a change in lost bags, or the like. I've heard lots of
third hand
discussion about how bad it is, but I've yet to run into a lot of people who
have seen it first hand.

Maybe it's just that I've gotten the whole airplane travel experience down
to a well honed
routine, but it just hasn't registered on my radar as so much harder to
travel that I won't
do it.

How many people on this list have actually had first hand experiences, in
the past 18 months, that really
were enough to make them cut back flying? Serious question folks.

- David