Re: in flight movies and deaf persons

At 09:20 PM 2/19/2003 -0800, Mark Panic wrote:
>here a question suppose you are deaf and you want to watch the In-flight
>movie what would you do? those movies are not captioned at all..  how
>would you hear the movie? and yes this is airline related..

I'd make a point of switching from a one long flight to two short flights
so that neither of my flights had a movie on it. Instead of a JFK-LAX
non-stop, I'd go JFK to ORD/STL/DFW/DEN and then on to LAX. (Or, maybe, ISP
to BWI to BNA to MCI to PHX to LAX, but only if I was on LUV. :-) )

And I'd bring a book instead of just sitting there, whining and moping. Or
I'd work the cross-word puzzle in the in-flight magazine.

After all, what did people do before in-flight movies?

Airlines make lots of various accommodations for lots of various
impairments, but an in-flight movie is not a basic human right that that
must be protected at all costs.

Will the plaintiff be happier if the airlines just decide to do away with
all in-flight movies? Then we'd all be as miserable as he apparently is.
And, as a bonus, the rest of us would have one person to focus our
discontent upon. :-)

The world is not fair. People ought to learn to deal with that instead of
trying desperate to even every playing surface they step onto. And they
ought to be damned thankful that a non-captioned in-flight movie is the
worst thing they encounter in a month.

Heartless in Vienna