NYTimes.com Article: Airline Executives Discuss Impact of Possible War in Iraq

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Airline Executives Discuss Impact of Possible War in Iraq

February 17, 2003
By DON KIRK

SEOUL, South Korea, Feb. 17 – Top executives from 15
international airlines gathered here today to welcome the
newest member of their marketing alliance but spent much of
their time talking both privately and publicly about the
potential impact of a war against Iraq.

"It’s a very difficult time," said Wallop Bhukkanasut, vice
president of Thai Airways International, talking over the
din of loud music and video presentations at a lavish
reception hosted by Asiana Airlines, which joins the Star
Alliance on March 1. "Hopefully it will be a short-term
war."

A war would will hit Thai Airways harder than most of the
other members since the airline flies to five Persian Gulf
states and would have to suspend service to all of them if
fighting started. "It’s better for consumers to stay away
from the war zone just to be sure it’s safe," said Mr.
Bhukkanasut. "We don’t want a stray cruise missile
somewhere near us."

Executives of airlines that fly nowhere near the Gulf
talked anxiously of declining service worldwide, the need
for alternate routes, and additional "technical stops" if
their planes for any reason had to be diverted hundreds or
thousands of miles out of the way.

"We are in contingency planning," said Juergen Weber, chief
executive officer of Deutsche Lufthansa AG, talking to
reporters before the reception. "Nobody knows how serious
it will hit us."

Mr. Weber said that bookings had gone down by 20 percent
during and after the first Gulf War in late 1990 and early
1991 and predicted a similar drop-off if war breaks out
again in the region. Already, he said, bookings had gone
down amid rising fuel costs.

Other airline executives expressed similar worries about
the impact of conflict.

"We’re all concerned about it,"said Mark Schwab, regional
vice president for United Airlines, which also has no
service to the middle east. "We have developed contingency
plans. We try to forecast what might happen. It’s all very
unpredictable."

Such talk contrasted with the sense of exaltation
surrounding the admission of Asiana, the distant second of
Korea's two airlines, to an alliance that ranks a clear
first among the three major airline networks with 26
percent of the world’s international passengers.

After having gone through a rigorous screening process that
tested everything from safety to computer systems, Asiana
executives clearly viewed their membership in the group as
a milestone not only for their own company but also for the
Korean airline industry. Park Chan Bup, the airline
president, said Asiana planes would display the logo of the
Star Alliance while providing, through code-sharing on
ticketing, around-the-world service.

The company chairman, Park Sam Koo, suggested some of the
concerns, however, while wall-to-wall screens flashed
images of Star Alliance planes in flight around the room.

"The cost of fuel is the problem," said Mr. Park, noting
that Asiana provides no service of its own to the middle
east. "We have some fears. We can manage it right now. We
made a profit last year." If the war is somehow averted in
Iraq, he said, the airline expects to make more than $50
million as a result of its membership in the Star Alliance.

The protracted buildup toward a possible war, though, was
in itself a wearing ordeal, said Robert Milton, president
of Air Canada.

"The North American industry in terms of domestic service
remains in rough shape" in the lingering aftermath of the
terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, he said. "Now we’re
into another wave of stress. People are very apprehensive."

Mr. Milton said that Air Canada had briefly suspended
service to Tel Aviv, its only Middle East destination,
during the first Gulf War after Iraqi forces fired SCUD
missiles into Israel. Without such disruptions, he said,
passenger service would inevitably fall off.

"It’s a pretty basic instinct," he said. "You don’t want to
be far from home if things go awry."

Lars Lindgren, senior vice president of Scandinavian
Airlines System, cited uncertainty as one of the worst
problems. "Traffic was down 20 percent in the Gulf War," he
said, "but it was a very short war, and we recovered fast."
This time around, ":If war comes, we need to make sure we
get out of it quickly," he said. "The sooner we can take
this uncertainty out of the market, the better off we will
all be."

In the meantime, said Jaan Albrecht, chief excecutive
officer of the Star Alliance, "We are coordinating
scenarios, so the effect would be consolidation of routes."
If the airlines have to reduce service, he said, "the idea
would be to downsize in a coordinated way."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/17/business/worldbusiness/17CND-AIR.html?ex=1046577646&ei=1&en=59b9a5c38228ae7d

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company