From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
JoeThree@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 8:04 AM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Speaking of Montreal...

In January, 1989, I flew through Mirabel on a British Airways L-1011, flying
DTW-YMX-LHR.

We landed well after dark, and taxiied for nearly ten minutes before we
arrived at the terminal. During the time we were taxiing, I did not see a
single sign of life other than the runway and taxiway lights. No hangars, no
ground vehicles, no other aircraft, until we were within sight of the
terminal. It felt as though our TriStar had landed in a small airport in the
Canadian bush, instead of at the international gateway for one of the
world's
most exciting cities.

We were on the ground for about an hour for servicing and to pick up
additional passengers (at that time, Detroit did not have a big enough
traffic base to support nonstop transatlantic flights), and in that time, I
saw just six other aircraft: two Minerve DC-8s, a Sabena DC-10, and a 747,
an
L-1011, and a 767 of Air Canada. I'm sure working in the tower at YMX was
one
of the lowest-stress ATC jobs in Canada!

Joe Wolf
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Airport Codes:

DTW: Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, Michigan
YMX: Montreal Mirabel
LHR: London Heathrow