U.S. approves US Airways loan guarantee

WASHINGTON (Reuters) =97 US Airways won government approval Tuesday for a=20
$900 million loan guarantee that is critical to the carrier's bid to=20
reorganize under bankruptcy protection. The airline must meet several new=20
conditions before the Air Transportation Stabilization Board will activate=
=20
the guarantee to underpin $1 billion in private financing. The conditions=20
include finalizing concession deals, obtaining final bankruptcy court=20
approval of its reorganization proposal, and regulatory and judicial=20
clearance of its plan to eliminate its pilot's union retirement plan. The=20
three-member board, which voted unanimously to approve the application,=20
also said it reserved the right to decline the assistance if the airline's=
=20
financial prospects worsen or its ability to repay the loan diminishes. The=
=20
board's executive director, Daniel Montgomery, said in a letter to the=20
airline that it had presented a business plan that "reasonably positions"=20
the company to "meet the challenges and risks of this industry and to=20
achieve financial stability over the term of the proposed loan." The US=20
Airways bid was conditionally approved last July just weeks before the=20
Arlington, Virginia-based carrier filed for bankruptcy protection.

At that time, the board demanded substantial cost cuts and a stake in the=20
No. 7 U.S. airline. As part of reorganization, the stabilization board=20
accepted US Airways' plan to give the government warrants to buy 10% of the=
=20
company. US Airways also plans to cut annual costs by $1.8 billion. US=20
Airways plans to emerge from Chapter 11 protection by March 31. "We are=20
gratified by the (government) action today, and its vote of confidence in=20
our company's restructuring and prospects for long-term success," David=20
Siegel, the airline's president and chief executive, said in a statement.=20
David Bronner, chief executive of the airline's lead investor, Retirement=20
Systems of Alabama, said the new conditions were anticipated. "Now we just=
=20
have to go through it and make sure that we meet all of the guidelines,"=20
Bronner said. The stabilization board was set up after the 2001 hijack=20
attacks to help financially struggling airlines with loan guarantees.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/