Re: Once Government, Now Private

--=======71D527AB=======

At 02:56 PM 2/10/2003 Monday -0800, you wrote:

>I believe Air New Zealand was also state owned.

Well, it is again! (at least, mostly)

Most of the major carriers outside the USA started government-owned, or
were government-owned for part of their existence.
The website I refer to at the end may prove me wrong!

The move to "private" ownership is relatively recent in many countries.

Union Airlines in NZ was privately owned, but got taken over by the
government as NZ National Airlines Corp.  It was later merged with TEAL,
also a government-owned, to form Air NZ.  This was privatised, became the
owner of Ansett, and in the process of recovery from the losses caused by
that piece of idiocy, became majority government-owned again.

Oh yes, there was a peculiar airline named BCPA, owned by Britain,
Australia and NZ, which operated trans-Pacific flights with DC-6s and was
split between QANTAS and the NZ government

In my own country, Australia, ANA and Ansett were not government-owned,
and after the end of WWII the Government set up an organisation to take
over the airlines, but there was so much opposition that a new carrier was
set up (Trans-Australia, or TAA - which later became Australian - a name
now revived as a subsidiary of QANTAS.)

QANTAS was originally private,  taken over by the Federal Government in
the 'forties, and "privatised" (which means made into a corporation of which
25% was sold to British Airways and the rest to the stock market).  By
this time it had absorbed TAA which was never privatised as an entity.

Googling for this, I found:

Airline history site http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/index.html
containing, amongst very many others,
TEAL http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/538.htm
Air NZ http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/539.htm
Australian http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/530.htm
Ansett http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/330.htm
QANTAS http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/112.htm

which may not be completely up-to-date, but is an excellent resource.

> > AIRLINE:
> >
> > Can anyone supply me with some names of airlines that
> > were onced owned by their government, but are now
> > private?
> >
> > I believe I can already offer: Air Canada, Quantas,
> > Aeroflot and British Airways. Any others?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike Burris
> > Cambridge, Massachusetts

---