SF Gate: CLIPPED WINGS/Small, discount-price airline gives up on Bay Area commuter flight

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2003/02=
/04/BU147298.DTL
Tuesday, February 4, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
CLIPPED WINGS/Small, discount-price airline gives up on Bay Area commuter f=
light
Jim Doyle, Chronicle Staff Writer

   After slashing its fares to just $10, Valley Air Express has scrapped its
turboprop flights from Santa Rosa to Oakland.
   Valley Air's station employees in Santa Rosa spent Monday afternoon
packing up their offices, an airport administrator said. Telephones at the
small regional airline went unanswered, and calls were not returned. It
was unclear when the carrier made its last Santa Rosa-Oakland flight.
   An executive for Valley Air blamed the stalled economy and stiff
competition from airport buses for the demise of its brief, bone-crunching
run at a major market. But he insisted that the carrier is retrenching and
buying itself some time until the airline industry recuperates.
   "It's a jungle out there in aviation," said Cory Robin, a Valley Air vice
president. "The bigger airlines can operate at a loss. We want profitable
quarters every quarter. . . . We have the flexibility to move our airlines
and do things to find a market."
   Valley Air's difficulties come at a time when major airlines also are
struggling. They have abandoned routes, laid off employees and, in the
cases of United Airlines and US Airways, filed for bankruptcy protection.
   Some of the smaller regional airlines arguably have taken bigger hits.
They don't have access to government loan guarantees and subsidies, and
they run with profit margins so low, they are constantly in danger of
going out of business.
   Robin said the airline will continue to offer charter and freight service
in Southern California, then resurface next year with more passenger
routes in Northern California.
   Valley Air's run at the potentially lucrative Bay Area market never quite
gained cruising altitude. The Sacramento carrier, which began flying out
of Santa Rosa in mid-September, offered the only scheduled service from
Charles M.
   Schulz-Sonoma County Airport after United Express stopped flying to San
Francisco and Los Angeles in October 2001. Two weeks ago, Valley Air cut
back its Santa Rosa-Oakland flights from five per day to two and reduced
all of its fares to $10.
   "We were losing on average between $30,000 and $40,000 a month. We're not
talking big bucks, but it was enough to say: 'OK, we're done,' " Robin
said.
   The cash-strapped airline lobbied local government officials for money to
help build ridership levels, but a potential $500,000 state grant dried up
with the governor's recent budget cuts.
   "We've lost money continuously since we opened Santa Rosa, but that's to
be expected," Robin said. "Every airline expects to lose money for the
first six months of operation. Of course, every time you have to pull out
of a market, it's not a pleasant thing. We had hoped to establish a
relationship with Sonoma County."
   Robin said that the carrier is forming an alliance with small regional
carriers in Arizona and Washington state and repositioning itself to take
over routes that were ended by larger and medium-size airlines. Next year,
Valley Air plans to open up routes between Sacramento and the North Coast.
It is also considering returning to Santa Rosa, perhaps with service to
Los Angeles.
   Valley Air purchased the airline, formerly called Sun Air Express, a year
ago. Its flagship Cessna Grand Caravan had previously flown back and forth
between Redding and Oakland.
   The new owners used billboards, radio and print ads to promote the half-
hour flights from Santa Rosa to Oakland. The airline originally offered a
one- way fare of $75 with a reservation, and a $37 fare for standby
passengers. By contrast, the two-hour ride to Oakland International
Airport on the Airport Express bus is $20, plus $5 for all-day parking.
   Valley Air's flights were "good for business travel, but that was a small
portion of the market," Robin said. "We did build up a steady amount of
regular passengers who would ride us frequently, but most people elected
to drive themselves or ride the bus if they had meetings in Oakland. Most
of our customers were using the service to connect with JetBlue and
Southwest flights. "
   Valley Air modeled itself after no-frills SouthWest Airlines and JetBlue,
   two of the world's most profitable airlines. Both carriers are able to
offer cut-rate fares in part because they do not distribute
   their flights on Web sites such as www.travelocity.com and www.orbitz
   .com.
   "The majors designed the distribution system to keep the smaller and new=
er
airlines out," he said. "We're struggling to get into the bigger airports.
We're doing what Southwest Airlines was doing 20 years ago. In Oakland, we
had to fly into a private terminal (Kaiser Air general aviation) and take
passengers by shuttle bus over to the main terminal."
   Backed by a handful of investors, the nonunion Valley Air hired
experienced station crews and veteran pilots in their 30s and 40s. Each
employee has a small piece of the company. Today's closing of the Santa
Rosa-Oakland service will result in furloughs for pilots and ground
employees.
   Cessna's Grand Caravan has nine single-row passenger seats, each with a
cushy 36 inches of legroom. Planes are staffed with a captain and first
officer, but no flight attendant. "We're a specialty airline that offers
nothing but first-class service to every passenger at a low cost," Robin
said. "Everyone has concerns about turboprops. Once they fly on it, we've
won them over."
   Sonoma County airport manager John Stout said that he was not surprised =
by
Valley Air's decision. "It was a tough market for them to crack," he said.
"There was a potential market, but they stopped promoting it in early
November and you could see the numbers drop."
   Valley Air is banking on a resurgence of short-haul airlines.
   In the late 1990s, the larger airlines bought lots of feeder routes. Now,
they're sticking to long-haul, high-density routes -- slashing costs by
turning over the medium-size routes to carriers such as Sky West, Mesa
Airlines and Horizon Airlines, which are parking their turboprops and
buying small jet aircraft.
   "I think about a year from now it's going to be a very good market. If y=
ou
have $10 million burning a hole in your pocket, an airline is going to be
a good investment," Robin said.
   "But of course there's also the adage that the best way to make a small
fortune in the aviation business is to start with a large fortune. It's a
very expensive hobby."
   E-mail Jim Doyle at jdoyle@sfchronicle.com.=20
Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle