Mileage incident bugs some US Airways fliers

Mileage incident bugs some US Airways fliers
By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY

There are no secret handshakes or funny hats in this travel club. Members
of an informal group of US Airways' frequent fliers recognize one another
by the plastic cockroach pins on their lapels. They call themselves
cockroaches because they say US Airways made them feel unloved. The group
grew out of heated postings on the Internet forum flyertalk.com last year
after US Airways announced plans to reduce frequent-flier privileges for
those paying low fares. US Airways dropped the policy, but the episode left
bitterness. A quote by US Airways executive Ben Baldanza in USA TODAY last
August didn't help: "Someone who flies a lot isn't necessarily loyal if
what they're doing is buying the lowest-priced ticket every time they fly,"
he said. "That's not necessarily the kind of loyalty we want to reward. We
want to reward those people who pay a premium for the services we offer."

The idea for the cockroach pins came from Bob Johnson of Mystic Island,
N.J., who says he takes pains to fly US Airways despite a corporate policy
that makes him take the lowest available fare. He sometimes spends an hour
on the Internet to find US Airways' best fares to his destination. The
group started a Web site, us-cockroach.com, and 500 cockroach pins were
made. About 400 were sold at $3.50 apiece. The pins do get reactions. "The
flight crews all noticed them," says Jacksonville dentist Sol Brotman. "We
told them cockroaches were in support of them. We know management has made
some really bad errors, but that we support the frontline employees." US
Airways says it never meant to offend customers and points out that it
dropped the policy. "Whether you travel on a $200 ticket or a $2,000
ticket, customers generally have the same ability to earn for free travel
and preferred status in our Dividend Miles program," says US Airways
spokesman David Castelveter.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/