Report: Delta's new airline to be called "Song"

Report: Delta's new airline to be called "Song"

The Associated Press
1/26/03 5:30 PM

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines' new low-fare startup airline will be named "Song," Time magazine reported in its edition to be released Monday.

The low-fare carrier is an attempt by Delta to reproduce the success of rival JetBlue Airways, a three-year-old New York-based airline, analysts have said. Song will begin flying Boeing 757s in April from New York to Florida, an area where JetBlue has found success against Delta.

Deanna Baker, a spokeswoman for Atlanta-based Delta, on Sunday declined to confirm the name of the startup carrier.

"We have not announced a name at this time and we haven't announced we're going to announce a name," Baker said.

Delta, the nation's third-largest airline, plans to avoid its hubs with Song and will fly the unit's jets more hours per day than the mainline operations.

The magazine reported that Delta also attempted to copy JetBlue's success by working with the designer of that carrier's uniforms for Song. The designer declined, Time said.

Song would offer only coach class seating with one-way fares below $299.

Delta is expected to end the operations of its Florida-based Delta Express unit.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Roger
EWROPS