NYTimes.com Article: A Few Airlines Remain Finicky About Food

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

A Few Airlines Remain Finicky About Food

January 21, 2003
By JOE SHARKEY

SIX miles above the frozen Great Plains, at about 1 p.m. on
Sunday, I began to admire the Braided Pretzels as I fetched
them hungrily one at a time from their half-ounce foil
packet.

I mean really admire them in their buttery, crunchy, salty
magnificence. This was on a Northwest Airlines flight, on
the second leg of a trip to Phoenix with connections in
Detroit and Minneapolis. Since I got up at 6 a.m. to rush
to the airport, I hadn't had anything to eat but the
wonderful half-ounce bag of pretzels. Obviously, delirium
was setting in.

Backwards reeled the mind. Could it have been only a few
days earlier that I was standing appraisingly at a long
white-clothed banquet table tastefully arranged with
china-dish displays of the fanciest airline food: chilled
malossol caviar, medallions of marinated lobster, beef
filet mignon with buttered carrots, herb-crusted Chilean
sea bass, roasted lamb in tapenade jus?

That lavish repast - for inspection, not wholesale
consumption - was set out in a utilitarian dining room
beside the bustling kitchens of the Flying Food Group,
which prepares meals for Singapore Airlines at a plant in
the congested industrial service district bordering the
marshes beside Kennedy International Airport in New York.

In surveys of business-traveler preferences, Singapore
usually ranks at or near the top in assessments of its food
on international flights. Not for nothing, then, is
Singapore emphasizing its commitment to in-flight dining,
at a time when many domestic airlines have eliminated or
sharply curtailed food service or, in a growing trend, have
started having their flight attendants actually peddle
packaged meals off a cart in the aisle.

In a white lab coat, Hermann Freidanck, Singapore's manager
of food and beverage services, was moving deliberately from
dish to dish, inspecting the caterer's presentation of
various menu items being planned for Singapore's spring
schedule of flights between New York and Frankfurt.

He rolled his eyes in disdain at the idea of selling
sandwiches off a cart. Decent food, Mr. Freidanck swore,
ought to be carefully maintained as a component of air
travel, especially on long flights, which is where airlines
are engaged in their most intense competition for business
passengers who pay the highest fares.

"There is not much difference in price between a bad roll
and a good roll," he said. "In my opinion, food is still
one of the main ways to differentiate between airlines that
otherwise all get you from Point A to Point B. Food remains
one of the major potential sources of customer
dissatisfaction, too. No one complains about the brand of
fuel you're using, but with food, everybody's got an
opinion."

Let's stipulate here, by the way, that haute cuisine in the
air comes at a price, and it is both unfair and pointless
to condemn domestic airlines - which are losing money with
every plane they send up, with fares that are on average
the lowest they've been in a generation - for not serving
meals the way they did in the good old days. Last week,
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg of New York City set an apropos
tone to this topic when he told business and cultural
leaders that New York isn't a cheap ticket but rather a
luxury product that delivers quality at a price.

But all of the publicity in the last year about domestic
airlines' deteriorating food service, even in first- and
business-class cabins, has opened up marketing
opportunities for competitors. So a good number of foreign
airlines - Japan Air Lines, British Air, Virgin Atlantic,
Emirates, Swiss Air, Air Jamaica and others are examples
besides Singapore - have lately been overtly stressing that
idea in their pitches for the higher end of the
international business travel market emanating from the
United States.

Singapore, which has increased its overall capacity by
about 15 percent in the last two months as growth in Asian
destinations lifts a small rebound in international travel,
is determined to hold the line on food, Mr. Freidanck
insisted as he critically inspected and tasted dozens of
dishes for first-, business- and economy- class menu dishes
while the caterer's chefs and production chiefs scribbled
notes on clipboards.

"We are now actually spending more on food than we did
before 9/11," Mr. Freidanck said.

Singapore food executives make these inspections and menu
selections quarterly at airline caterers around the world.
"Once Hermann passes on the dish, we take a picture of it
so that our production crews and ultimately the onboard
flight attendants will see exactly how it's supposed to
look," said Bob Y. Sun, vice president for sales at Flying
Food.

Mr. Freidanck worked his way along the tables, dipping a
spoon into some broth and stopping to scowl at the way some
food was arranged on a plate. Flying Food chefs scurried
back into the kitchen to fix the presentation to the
inspector's liking. The whole process typically takes four
hours or more before all of the dishes are evaluated. No
one eats anything until the inspection is done. David
Burke, the executive chef at the Smith & Wollensky
Restaurant Group and a consultant for Singapore who devises
the menus worldwide, confided that he was feeling a little
peckish as he surreptitiously swiped a chocolate bon-bon
off a dessert plate.

"Hey, I once flew about 20 hours straight for a meeting in
Singapore," Mr. Burke said. "After a certain point, all you
have to look forward to is food."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/21/business/21ROAD.html?ex=1044158742&ei=1&en=aa52439a37c59147

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company