SF Gate: The new face of air rage

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/01/10/f=
inancial0907EST0051.DTL
Friday, January 10, 2003 (AP)
The new face of air rage
BROOKS BARNES, The Wall Street Journal

   (01-10) 06:07 PST (AP) --
   J'Amy Owens was expecting a quiet flight home to Seattle when she sudden=
ly
heard a commotion. But it wasn't an unruly passenger -- it was a flight
attendant. According to Ms. Owens, the attendant started berating a man
across the aisle. Pretty soon she was making a scene, even shouting at the
confused passenger. His mistake: leaving a beeping cellphone in the
overhead bin.
   "I about jumped out of my skin," says Ms. Owens, a retail consultant. "I=
'm
thinking the guy's going to be duct-taped to his seat."
   In case you hadn't noticed, there's a new kind of air rage out there --
but it's the crew, not the passengers, who seem to be losing their cool.
Stressed out by layoffs, extra security duties and now two big airline
bankruptcies, pilots and flight attendants may have reached their boiling
point. While no one keeps hard numbers on angry outbursts aloft, in a
first-of-its-kind survey American Express found that 55 percent of fliers
have seen a "noticeable decline" in cabin service, and one big flight
attendants' union just hired a psychologist to study job stress. Even the
airlines acknowledge they've got a frazzled work force. "As human beings
we can only take so much," a United spokesman says.
   Of course, most flight attendants still do their jobs without blowing
their stacks. But the past few months have brought a host of new
pressures, from pay cuts big and small (Northwest just trimmed health
benefits) to a 20 percent reduction in the number of attendants on some
flights. The list of 9/11-related security duties keeps growing, too. "A
lot of us are in a terrible mood before we even set foot on the plane,"
says Glenda Talley, a US Airways flight attendant who just took a pay cut.
   How bad is it? In one widely reported case, an American pilot went so far
as to throw a balky steward off the plane. According to an airline
spokesman, the attendant started "exhibiting rude behavior" so badly the
pilot had to make an emergency stop in Dallas. (Both the airline and the
flight attendants' union declined to comment further.) In another case,
Josh Holdeman says he couldn't believe it when a stewardess turned him
down for pretzels -- and told him to watch his waistline. "I'm still
furious," says the New York art expert, adding he works out three times a
week. (The airline, which happened to be American, says his experience was
"very unfortunate.")
   It wasn't all that long ago that flight crews struggled to cope with row=
dy
passengers, whose alcohol-fueled antics made "air rage" an everyday term.
In one particularly violent incident back in 2000, a passenger died while
being restrained during an air-rage outbreak on a Southwest flight. More
often, flight attendants found themselves coping with disorderly fliers,
like the investment banker who defecated on a service cart after being
denied another drink.
   Now the gripes are coming from the passengers, though flight attendants
say a lot of what seems like rude behavior isn't their fault. For some
time now, under new federal rules, flight attendants have been required to
step up scrutiny of passengers for security risks while smiling and
serving drinks. With pilots locked in the cockpit, they can't count on
extra help to calm unhappy fliers either. "We would just grin and bear a
lot of bad behavior," says Pat Friend, president of the Association of
Flight Attendants. Now, "we treat even the most minor disturbance as a
level-one threat."
   Still, even Ms. Friend concedes that increasingly testy treatment of
passengers is an "issue that needs to be addressed." Some numbers suggest
the problem is getting worse. Gripes specifically about flight attendants
are up about 12 percent among big U.S. airlines in just six months,
according to PlanetFeedback, a consumer-complaint service, while airline
complaints overall are up about 9 percent. And though the government's
numbers show formal protests against airlines were down for much of 2002,
that decline has tapered off sharply during the past few months. The
Department of Transportation, which compiles those statistics, says it
believes incidents are underreported, in part because many travelers still
don't know how or where to file complaints.
   Lisa Wallis, of Portland, Ore., says she was "afraid to move a muscle" on
an Alaska Airlines flight to Los Angeles this fall after a flight
attendant made a harsh announcement over the intercom. "Basically,
people," she recalls the steward saying, "sit down, shut up, eyes forward
-- and never forget that we are in control." ("Not everybody on every
flight can have the same sense of humor," an Alaska spokesman says.) Even
flying in first class, normally a haven with polite crew members, hasn't
helped. Instead of pampering her, Ms. Wallis says, a harried-looking
flight attendant turned down her drink order, then spent the flight
napping in an empty seat -- with slippers on. "I just sat there in
disbelief," says the sportswear-chain manager. "For $1,800, I at least
expected her to stay awake the whole time."
   Airlines say such incidents remain extremely isolated, given the thousan=
ds
of daily flights. But they also acknowledge they've either witnessed a
surge of sign-ups for stress-management programs -- or have taken new
measures to reduce stress in the air. "Certainly there's more stress to
the job lately and that takes a toll," says Kristi Tucker, a spokeswoman
for Delta Air Lines, which expects to furlough up to 1,000 flight
attendants in the coming months. The union for United and US Airways has
commissioned its own "coping study," while American's union, the
Association of Professional Flight Attendants, hired Loyola College
psychologist Jeffrey Lating to study members. Among the questions he's
asking: "Do you feel the urge to withdraw from people?"
   Flight attendants say the flying public isn't exactly making their job
easier. "It didn't take long after Sept. 11 for people to start acting
like complete idiots again," says Rene Foss, a flight attendant who
recently wrote a book titled "Around the World in a Bad Mood." She says
that after hearing the warning, people still try to light up in the
lavatory. And less egregious annoyances -- "the `fasten seat-belt' sign
applies to everyone but me" -- wear down stressed-out employees, Ms. Foss
says, leading to altercations.
   Many analysts say the bad mood in the sky will get better only when
travelers start returning and airlines start posting profits. But even
before all the industry's woes, attendants complained their pay was too
low for "friendly" service -- with some of the jobs starting at $15,000
and even veterans rarely making more than $50,000. And the
responsibilities of the haggard flight attendants only go up, forcing at
least some to give up before they lose their cool.
   That includes Kevin Gaspari, a steward who joined US Airways in 1987 and
fondly remembers the days of free Europe trips and tranquil cabins. A few
months ago he found himself at a new training course, learning how to
brandish a coffee pot as a weapon and "elbow" potential terrorists to the
floor. "I need a break," says Mr. Gaspari, who's now taking a voluntary
three-year furlough. "A lot of us just didn't sign up for this."

What's an Airline to Do?

   With air travel so stressful for passengers and flight attendants alike,
we decided to ask everyone from frequent fliers to airline executives for
ideas to make things better. Some suggestions were obvious, such as
cutting back on carry-ons, but we were surprised by others (should
airlines sell their seats like a four-course dinner?). Here are eight
intriguing -- and controversial -- proposals.

   1. TOSS THE FOOD CARTS. We're amazed it hasn't happened already. Even
though having passengers grab "snack pack" food boxes on the jetway while
boarding is easier, most airlines continue to dish up mediocre meals on
trays -- that is, if they serve food at all. This is one change that
airlines can afford: When American instituted "bistro service" on short
flights seven years ago, it helped cut food-service costs nearly 8 percent
in just three months.

   2. BETTER SEAT, BIGGER PRICE. Broadway theaters charge more for a prime
seat, so why can't the airlines offer travelers some a la carte seating
options? Sure, there's first class, but plenty of travelers would pay
extra -- maybe 10 percent more -- to sit in the front rows or "bulkhead"
seats and skip the free drinks and extra service. "For business travelers,
there's no question that an aisle seat is more valuable," says airline
consultant Thom Nulty.

   3. TURN ON THE TUBE. Putting a TV set at every seat sounds like a
no-brainer for keeping passengers relaxed, and indeed, it has won raves
for upstart JetBlue. But big airlines have been slow to catch on, saying
they can't afford frills these days. How much does it really cost? LiveTV,
the company that makes the systems (and happens to be owned by JetBlue),
says it's about $1 per passenger. Either way, think how quiet the cabin
would get. "Give my kids a TV and they'll stop screaming," says former
flight attendant Beth Daniels.

   4. KEEP EXPANDING -- EVEN NOW. Everybody knows travel is down, so it mig=
ht
sound crazy to keep building up the infrastructure of airports and
runways. Wrong: Experts estimate that air traffic will surpass pre-9/11
levels by mid-decade. Yet scores of airport projects face delays, such as
San Francisco's $3 billion runway expansion and a $6.6 billion project at
Chicago's O'Hare. Because airport construction takes years to complete,
waiting until business picks up will be too late, says Woodie Woodward,
associate administrator at the Federal Aviation Administration. "This is a
chance to play catch-up," she says.

   5. GET PILOTS TALKING. When you're rattling around in bumpy weather, it's
nice to get an update from the cockpit -- but passengers usually hear more
about the scenery. Indeed, while airlines say they encourage pilots to
give updates, Northwest, America West and other big carriers don't
actually require it. Pilots aren't fans of this, though, and say sometimes
they're too busy to talk.

   6. SECURITY FAST LANES. After 9/11, there was a lot of talk about "trust=
ed
traveler" programs to whisk business travelers through the added security.
The idea: a combination of background checks and high-tech scanners to vet
frequent fliers faster. It's not as futuristic as you might think --
Dallas just installed a handful of face scanners last month in a test
(though they're not cheap at $25,000 each). "I'm not asking to bypass
security," says former FAA chief Allan McArtor, now a senior Airbus
executive. "I'm just asking to get over in the fast lane."

   7. LESS BOOZE. As the Association of Flight Attendants president Pat
Friend says, "sobering up the cabin" would go a long way to easing
tensions. One idea: Raise drink prices to rein in demand. (By some
estimates, alcohol figures in three-quarters of all air-rage incidents --
and some big airlines serve more than four million drinks a year.) Some
airlines are doing exactly that: Delta now charges for alcohol on
international business-class flights, while United just raised coach
cocktails $1.

   8. MORE GATEKEEPERS. There's a new line at the airport. Most of the
attention goes to the crowds at security, but the wait at the gate can be
just as annoying. Between extra ID checks and pulling travelers aside for
special screening, boarding the plane means lining up one more time, a
cattle call that sets the mood for the entire flight. Airlines may be
strapped, but when it comes to the gate, face it: You need more people.

=20
Copyright 2003 AP