McCain says U.S. airlines must help themselves

McCain says U.S. airlines must help themselves  =

 =

 =

  =

Thursday January 9, 4:13 PM EST =

By John Crawley

WASHINGTON, Jan 9 (Reuters) - A key Senate lawmaker said on Thursday ther=
e was room for Congress to help U.S. airlines further, but the government=
 should do nothing unless the industry does more to help itself.

"Although there may be ways that we can be helpful, we must be cautious a=
bout any effort we might undertake," John McCain, incoming chairman of th=
e Commerce Committee, said at a hearing. "We should be reluctant to do an=
ything that might keep inefficient businesses afloat."

Industry losses for 2002 are expected to reach $9 billion with two major =
carriers, US Airways (UAWGQ) and United Airlines (UAL), in bankruptcy and=
 other big airlines struggling with soaring costs and plunging revenue. I=
ndustry debt is at an all-time high and underfunded pensions are of growi=
ng concern.

  =

While the biggest U.S. carriers struggle to survive the industry financia=
l storm, other airlines are weathering it and some are even thriving.

Low-cost airlines, like Southwest (LUV) and JetBlue (JBLU), have seen the=
ir market share grow from 16 percent in 2000 to 20 percent in 2002, Trans=
portation Department figures show. Some of those carriers have expanded o=
perations and made money.

"The ability of some airlines to remain profitable in the current climate=
 raises the question of whether there is something wrong with the rest of=
 the industry," McCain, an Arizona Republican, told chief executives from=
 American and Northwest (NWAC) airlines.

Northwest, which had an operating profit, reported a $46 million loss in =
the third quarter, while American, the world's biggest airline, lost $924=
 million.

HUB AND SPOKE SYSTEM

Both of those carriers have high labor costs and rely on a network of rou=
tes, called the hub and spoke system, that has been criticized by some as=
 outdated and inefficient in the face of leaner operations at low-cost co=
mpetitors. Those airlines mainly offer point-to-point service.

To compete, bigger carriers have slashed schedules, retired aircraft, cut=
 tens of thousands of jobs and sought givebacks from labor groups and new=
 terms from vendors.

Donald Carty, chairman and chief executive at American, said the airline =
has realized half, or $2 billion, of its cost-cutting goal.

McCain said this type of wholesale austerity may be necessary before addi=
tional congressional aid can be considered. Congress approved a $15 billi=
on industry bailout after the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked aircraft attacks, =
and gave the industry some relief from soaring premiums for high-end liab=
ility insurance in 2002.

"The aviation industry may simply need to adjust to the new realities of =
air travel before we can take any further significant action," McCain sai=
d.

The airlines want lawmakers to assume more or all of the aviation securit=
y costs that airlines must pay and amend the law governing airline contra=
ct negotiations.

Neither lawmakers nor the Bush administration have embraced the call for =
tax relief, but McCain and others on the Commerce Committee believe chang=
es to the Railway Labor Act should be considered. =

=A92002 Reuters Limited. =

Roger
EWROPS