Re: Airlines try going gourmet, but not for free

I've never understood why they couldn't reserve meals now. As a frequent
upgrader on UA, there is (er, was) actually a meaninful choice of meals in
first or business beyond the ubiquitious "chicken or beef." Unfortunately,
as a mid-tier elite, I often don't get a choice because the 1K's get first
dibs. I've often wished that, up to a certain time prior to departure, I
could hit the web, click on my reservation, browse the meal choices, and
pick one. And now if they're going to sell food, the carriers have a
cash-on-the-barrelhead economic incentive to allow customers to preorder
because it stands to increase sales while minimizing food they need to stock
on a speculative basis. And maybe in the end the same tools will allow
people in the front of the plane to specify their choice of meal.
Interesting times!

Regards,
Jon
--