From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
lafrance@verizon.net
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 2:10 PM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: American Eagle pilot suspected of having gun in bag

American Eagle pilot suspected of having gun in bag  =

 =

 =

  =

Tuesday January 7, 4:48 PM EST =

DALLAS, Jan 7 (Reuters) - A pilot for regional jet carrier American Eagle=
 was arrested over the weekend for allegedly trying to take a loaded hand=
gun aboard a plane, according to documents obtained on Tuesday.

Federal screeners allegedly found the handgun in a carry-on bag of pilot =
William Livingston Jr., 29, as he tried to pass through security at Dalla=
s/Fort Worth International Airport on Sunday, according to an arrest repo=
rt filed by the airport's Department of Public Safety.

Congress has given commercial pilots permission to carry weapons on plane=
s after they have received special training. But the Transportation Depar=
tment has not yet developed a plan for implementing that program.

The arrest report said Livingston told security officials that his wife p=
acked his bag and brought it to him.

American Eagle is a regional carrier affiliated with American Airlines, w=
hich is a division of AMR Corp. (AMR) =

"We take these type of things seriously and we are currently conducting o=
ur own investigation into the matter," an American Eagle spokeswoman said=
=2E =

=A92002 Reuters Limited. =

Roger
EWROPS