NYTimes.com Article: United Sharply Reduces Many of Its Unrestricted Fares

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

United Sharply Reduces Many of Its Unrestricted Fares

January 7, 2003
By EDWARD WONG

United Airlines said yesterday that it had cut unrestricted
fares on direct flights out of Chicago and Denver and on
thousands of connecting flights in smaller markets.

The move by the airline, a unit of the UAL Corporation,
signaled a willingness to experiment with lower fares for
business travelers. Many walk-up fares with no
restrictions, the kind often paid by business travelers,
have been reduced by 40 percent, with some cuts as much as
60 percent. As an example, the one-way walk-up fare between
Chicago and New York will now be $359, half of what it had
been.

Industry experts said the move by United represented the
first widespread effort by a big network airline to
simplify parts of its fare structure by bringing
unrestricted fares closer to those commonly paid by leisure
travelers. American Airlines, an AMR unit, and Delta Air
Lines have both experimented with their fare structures,
but their moves affected fares in a handful of markets.

By contrast, United said it was reducing full fares in
12,500 markets. For now, it is concentrating the cuts
around Chicago and Denver, two hubs where it faces some of
its strongest competition. United, which filed for
bankruptcy protection on Dec. 9, is fending off American
and several low-cost carriers in Chicago, while it is
losing market share to Frontier Airlines in Denver.

A United spokesman, Joe Hopkins, said the airline had been
testing its cheaper unrestricted fares for the last year in
a few markets and had decided to expand the experiment.

"We think it generates additional business for us," Mr.
Hopkins said. "We tried this on a limited number of markets
out of Chicago. We've been pleased with what we've seen,
and we've been tweaking it along the way."

United also said it would make further cutbacks in its food
service on many flights starting today. The airline had
already eliminated hot food in economy class on many routes
after the terrorist attacks in September 2001, but the
latest cutbacks will affect travelers in business and first
class. For example, on all North American flights except
transcontinental routes, hot lunches in those classes of
service will be replaced with a deli and salad plate.

Mr. Hopkins said that the changes would affect 210 flights
daily and that this scaling down of food service was
expected to help United reach monthly cash-flow figures
required by its lenders.

As for the fare reduction, industry experts said it was not
a true simplification of United's complex fare structure
because the changes had not been made systemwide. In fact,
some argued that the reduction added another type of fare.
But in the markets where the reduced fares have been
introduced, United has compressed the gap between walk-up
prices and those paid with an advance purchase.

Joe Brancatelli, an advocate for business travelers, who
writes an online newsletter, offered a mixed reaction. "I
think fare cuts are good," he said. "I want to encourage
this. United has admitted they've done something wrong."

But because the cuts did not simplify the overall fare
structure, "this won't fix the problem," Mr. Brancatelli
said, adding: "This is a bandage on a gigantic sucking
chest wound. They have to get to a situation where they
have four or five tiers of fares."

Jamie Baker, an analyst with J. P. Morgan Chase, said the
revenue of carriers operating in the markets where United
is cutting fares represents 32 percent of total domestic
sales. In the short term, he said, United's fare-cutting
will have "negative revenue and earnings implications for
the industry."

American and Continental Airlines have already moved to
match United's lower fares, Mr. Baker said, while Delta has
matched them in a handful of markets.

"By no means have we arrived at a simplified,
value-enhanced fare structure, at least not yet," Mr. Baker
said. "But with United's action today, we've moved
substantially towards that goal."

Hal Rosenbluth, chief executive of Rosenbluth
International, a corporate travel-management company, said
United's fare cuts should stimulate business travel
somewhat, but not too greatly. Businesses that already have
deep corporate discounts with United will probably not be
swayed very much by the cuts, he said, while smaller
companies without discounts will find the cuts more
appealing.

As for the elimination of some hot meals, many analysts
said travelers would probably not miss this service as long
as United lowered its fares to meet those of the low-cost
carriers, which do not offer food. But if fares remain
considerably higher than those of Southwest or other
discount airlines, then people might ask why they are not
receiving food and other perks for the higher fare.

Still, "I just think meals are a thing of the past," said
Raymond L. Neidl, an analyst at Blaylock & Partners.
"People can buy their own food. What's common now are the
sacks you can bring on board."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/07/business/07AIR.html?ex=1042949432&ei=1&en=53fb09f322ab5354

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company